fot

Re: [Fot] Next race planning

To: "'MadMarx'" <tr4racing@googlemail.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Next race planning
From: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:00:29 -0700
Chris

I think it is safe to say that the FOT is more of a "fortunate accident"
than an organization.  The only thing organized by the FOT is the Kastner
Cup race that moves around the country annually.

Road racing here in the US is split between Vintage or Historic Racing and
"championship" racing.  Vintage or Historic racing is run by numerous
groups, mostly regionally based.  There are no national rules and no
national championship.  Races are most often just for fun, without trophys
or any other awards.

"Championship" racing is for both current cars and older cars such as
Triumphs.  Nationally, these races are organized by the Sports Car Club of
America (SCCA).  There are also several other groups such as NASA and ICSCC
and others that conduct regional championships.  The SCCA runs local
championships and also National Points races that qualify one for the
National Championship Runoffs.  This is a single, week long race event held
in the fall of each year with 25 races for different classes of cars.

Racing in the US is different because of the distances and different
organizations involved.  I live in Oregon and my local track is about 25
miles from home.  We typically race there 8 weekends a year.  The next
closest track is around 200 miles away and after that it's more like 600.
The different organizations have different rules.  My car is acceptable to
some and not to others.  Sometimes the US can be a really confusing place,
but it's filled with good people and some darn fast Triumphs.

Jim Norlin