fot

[Fot] WG: Paging Tom Krieger re: rear springs

To: "'Friends'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] WG: Paging Tom Krieger re: rear springs
From: "MadMarx" <tr4racing@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:45:58 +0100
Hi Greg,

You can't prevent the car from transferring weight under braking or
acceleration, you only can work on the dive of the suspension during this
circumstances.
A good thing would be to install an anti-dive system for the braking but
this is not easy to create on the TR3/4 front end as the lower wishbone
can't be tilted.
But besides this the main thing is that the car doesn't bottom out the
suspension under braking or acceleration. The main spring ration should
cover the maximum bumps on the particular track. The smoother the surface
the less hard you can go. On tracks like the Nordschleife with huge bumps
you need also lots of travel way of the suspension.

I don't have any trouble with the car diving under braking. If the front end
is lower at corner entry than getting in the corner is more crisp as the
dive induce a little oversteer which makes life easier.
When accelerating out of the corner the weight is transferred to the rear
axle and the corners outside wheel. That will cause oversteer too but with
the front inside wheel slightly touching the ground you have a little
understeer too. If the car is well balanced you can achieve a smooth 4 wheel
slide out of corners that makes the car quite fast and does save tires too.
Have a look on these photos to see how the front wheel is almost touching
the ground.

http://www.tr4-racing.de/pic/2009/spa/04.0709Spa6Classic010.jpg

http://www.tr4-racing.de/pic/2009/rgb-nurburgring/n%FCrburg%20b%20049.jpg

http://www.tr4-racing.de/pic/2009/spa/03.07.09Spa7Classic054.jpg

Take also in account that a wheel that has only little load can't be steered
too far in the corner, so the anti Ackermann is the way to go to leave the
inside front wheel more straight as it has less load but should help with
steering the car. An unloaded wheel has only a very small slip angle.
I'm going to rise the front end grip as high as I can and adjust the rear
end to force the car to a little oversteer.

Cheers
Chris

fot@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html