fot

Re: [Fot] WG: Paging Tom Krieger re: rear springs

To: "'Bill Babcock'" <billb@bnj.com>, "'Kramer, Robert'"
Subject: Re: [Fot] WG: Paging Tom Krieger re: rear springs
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:41:05 -0700
I beg to differ.

Think about it this way.  If you have a piece of spring steel 20 feet long
and extend it between two fixed points and then apply a weight to the
center, it will droop a given amount.  The cut off a portion of it and move
the end points closer together and reapply the same weight.  It will sag
less.  Wind that steel into a coil and you get the same effect.

The spring rate of the steel did not change (unless you heat it changing the
properties) but the total amount of travel will become less, making the
spring stiffer.

The same thing happens with leaf springs.

Joe C.