fot

Re: [Fot] Sometimes I amaze, even Myself

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sometimes I amaze, even Myself
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:13:10 -0700
If there's anything I have learned about frozen studs, nuts, bolts,
etc.....       It is to STOP, the second one realizes they've got a
problem.   STOP, and think about the best approach, the best tool,
etc.    And while devising a plan, let it sit in a bath of sprayed on
WD40, etc.     If the best tool for the given job isn't available at the
moment, take the time to get it.  Over the years, it seems to me that
over half of the difficulty in solving such issues is having to work
around the first 30 minutes of testosterone driven carnage.

I've slowly been building up a little collection of odd tools
specifically designed to deal with these things.  Yet, even with all
these special tools,  more often than not, only one of them is right for
any given task.  And even then, it's often some simple tool that I need,
that's gone missing.

And regardless of the game plan, one shouldn't proceed with each step
until it's fully engaged.  i.e.  If  one is using a vis-grip, that
initial squeeze to lock it in place should hurt.  If a hole is to be
drilled for a tool to engage, one should take the time to drill it right
(properly locate the drill, drill at 90 degrees, drill it as deep as
recommended, etc.)   If one is dremeling a slot for a screw driver, get
it right and use a screw driver that fits the slot perfectly.   If
leverage would help, take the time to create additional leverage (like
pipe to extend handles, etc.).

Patience and planning.

--Justin

fot@autox.team.net