fot

Re: [Fot] Sometimes I amaze, even Myself

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sometimes I amaze, even Myself
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:21:23 -1000
Good advice. One other bit. When you get a little twinge of a thought that
you're doing the wrong thing, stop. Go back and think it through. I can't tell
you how many times I've thought "Man, if that bolt breaks my knuckles are
going to...OUCH". Or "I probably shouldn't used vise grips for this
because...DAMN, I shouldn't have used vise grips. "

Telling yourself "I saw that coming" means you didn't trust your experience
and knowledge. If you know better, act better. Saves a lot of time and
bandaids.

On Mar 28, 2010, at 8:13 AM, Justin Wagner wrote:

> If there's anything I have learned about frozen studs, nuts, bolts, etc.....
It is to STOP, the second one realizes they've got a problem.   STOP, and
think about the best approach, the best tool, etc.    And while devising a
plan, let it sit in a bath of sprayed on WD40, etc.     If the best tool for
the given job isn't available at the moment, take the time to get it.  Over
the years, it seems to me that over half of the difficulty in solving such
issues is having to work around the first 30 minutes of testosterone driven
carnage.

> I've slowly been building up a little collection of odd tools specifically
designed to deal with these things.  Yet, even with all these special tools,
more often than not, only one of them is right for any given task.  And even
then, it's often some simple tool that I need, that's gone missing.
> And regardless of the game plan, one shouldn't proceed with each step until
it's fully engaged.  i.e.  If  one is using a vis-grip, that initial squeeze
to lock it in place should hurt.  If a hole is to be drilled for a tool to
engage, one should take the time to drill it right (properly locate the drill,
drill at 90 degrees, drill it as deep as recommended, etc.)   If one is
dremeling a slot for a screw driver, get it right and use a screw driver that
fits the slot perfectly.   If leverage would help, take the time to create
additional leverage (like pipe to extend handles, etc.).

fot@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums