fot

Re: [Fot] Crank split seal ring TR3/4 - advert

To: "'MadMarx'" <tr4racing@googlemail.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank split seal ring TR3/4 - advert
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:40:50 -0500
Good work Chris!  Just a note on the Moss alignment mandrel for the rear
seal.  It is the wrong diameter, just a bit oversize.  It is made of what I
think is Delrin and I had mine turned down to 2.814-2.815 (71.48mm
-71.50mm).  Now it is about the correct size.  You wrote that you used 2.818
(71.57mm).  I've only had to use it once as now that the two halves of the
aluminum "seal" are bolted to the block and cap I've had no reason to remove
them, so far!  I would also note that the oil "drain" hole is critical to
the stock seal working correctly and the felt seal on the sides of the cap
are also critical to the sealing of the rear main.  I've attached a couple
of Kas's old posts regarding this.  I made my punches out of brass, just
easier to machine, and I use 1 inch pieces of the felt seal at a time and
pound them in.  I get felt coming out of the gaps on the sides of the cap if
I'm doing it right.  I've done the seals 3 times now and I just have a bit
of the weeping that Kas mentions.  If anybody wants to borrow my mandrel
contact me off list.  As I said you usually only need to align the aluminum
halves once.

Tim Murphy
1961 TR4 #317