fot

[Fot] the danger of fire and cool shirt systems

To: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] the danger of fire and cool shirt systems
From: Scott Janzen <s.janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:28:54 -0400
I've been thinking about getting a Cool Shirt (water cooled shirt
system) to keep from getting over-heated in my GT6 coupe, which I tend
to do any time the temperature is over 65.  I read this article on the
Miata fire, and am pondering whether, in the disastrous event of a
fire, having water which can vaporize into steam, and/or plastic lines
on the shirt which can melt,  near my skin is more hazardous than it's
worth.  Has this ever been addressed - does SCCA allow these systems,
and if so, how is it reconciled with the requirement to wear fire-
retardant materials?

On a related thought, I also use arm restraints.  One end of these
slips over the lap belt component of the harness.  If I had to make a
quick exit, these things basically don't just slip off, either from my
wrists or from the belts.  Is there a better way to anchor these?  I
don't like the idea of a window net in lieu of arm restraints because
it blocks visibility to the side mirror.