fot

Re: [Fot] Faulty Water Temp Gauge?

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Faulty Water Temp Gauge?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 12:06:42 -0700
> Need some opinions on what I think might be a problem with my 1969 TR6
> water temp gauge is an electrical unit.

Well, that's your first mistake, IMO.  For racing, I would definitely
replace that thing with a 270 sweep mechanical unit.

> Does it gradually go bad and give false readings?

If this is the stock TR6 gauge, I would suspect the voltage stabilizer;
which is a little metal can on the back of the speedo (I think).  The gauge
is voltage dependant and expects a 10 volt (average) supply.  The VS chops
up the voltage from the battery, to create a long-term 10 volt average to
the gauge.

-- Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com