fot

Re: [Fot] Heartland Park-Kastner Cup

To: Ernest Husmann <ehusmann53@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Heartland Park-Kastner Cup
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:57:42 -0500
So after Hours of sweaty prep work... I had to remove the rear extension on
my GT6 the night before I was going to leave for the big Kastner cup as I
found a major leak was dripping from the trans. It was cracked. I removed
it, replaced it, and got everything back together... but I was nervous
because I had never taken that rear extension off and something strange had
happened. The lower rod popped out a bit all by itself as I was putting on
the new piece. I thought to myself... I wonder it that funny sound I heard
was a needle bearing or two falling into the bottom of the trans... but it
all seemed to go back together OK... I really wanted to make that race.

I left the next night... already on no sleep. Me and my Dad made the 10 hour
tow down to Heartland Park. We Arrived at 6:30 A.M Registered and unloaded
the Car. I made about 5 laps and as soon as I started to pick up the pace
and try a few laps at race speed the trans started to vibrate violently.
Headed for the pits, stopped, and couldn't get the car into gear.I was Done.

Flash to Saturday night 4:00 P.M. I was happy with resigning to the fact
that now I could just drink a lot of Beer all weekend. Some guy I had never
met Before who auto crosses a Gt6 came up to me and my poor broken car.
"I've got a trans that's been sitting In my garage for years.. Its kind of
dirty but you are welcome to it... You can have it for FREE.

Suddenly, I could see myself raising the Kasnter Cup over my head with
Champagne flying and the crowds cheering as my humble GT6 had beaten the
fastest TR's in the world.

He drove home and brought back a stinky, dirty, and FREE trans. We removed
the old one, cleaned up the new one, sealed it, lubed it, and snugged
everything up. In a moment of sheer bliss I fired the car up at almost 11:00
P.M. It was Alive again. I cruised the paddock and ran through the gears.
FGR was Back In the Game.

I ran the practice in the morning, The Group 7 race, and the Kastner Cup, I
was a bit off the pace I wanted to be running as I was short on track time.
But hey, I was racing. I had a great time trying to catch Andrew Kramer and
even passed a few cars on the start. A great weekend... a great Kastner Cup!

Jason Ostrowski, Friendly Ghost Racing, Triumph GT6 #27