fot

Re: [Fot] Distributor gear failure

To: MadMarx <tr4racing@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Distributor gear failure
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:52:53 -0400
On 3/27/2011 5:58 AM, MadMarx wrote:
> You are all true with your statements but this is clearance and not mesh
> adjustment.
> The distributor gear is pressed down wards.
> To move the gear in a different position you would have to fit shims "under"
> the distributor gear to move it up or if you fit no spacers it gear sits on
> the block face.
> The workshop manual has no advice for moving the gear up or down, only a
> clearance that is set with lifting the pedestal with shims.

Chris, you are right and I gave you wrong advice, sorry.  I don't know
how to move the gear upwards without somehow moving the brass bush that
it rides on.  That would require pressing it up from inside the block,
which might be done but by how much?  You do have the bush (Moss
#836-240) installed, right?  I ask, as you mention the gear riding on
the block face.  If it is installed correctly, it should just be a
matter of shimming the pedestal.

I'm still trying to get my scanner to work, so can't send the workshop
manual pages yet.
> Question:
> If the distributor gear is running on the block face, is that the right
> position?
> If this is uncertain then how to measure the right mesh position?
> Do I have to color the gears to see the contact point like if I would adjust
> the rear axle?

White lithium grease works very well for that.

jim

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA