fot

Re: [Fot] Sputtering TR question

To: Don Elliott <58tr3a@videotron.ca>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sputtering TR question
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 12:34:48 -0700
Great story, highly unlikely. You'd need a huge volume to do anything in an
unconstrained, turbulent space like that.

On May 31, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Don Elliott wrote:

> Ken Gillanders told me a racing story many years ago from the late 1950s.
Maybe it applies here.

> It seems that a racing Mini had two fire extinguisher bottles.  One bottle
was filled with the approved fire extinguisher inside.  The other was filled
with pure nitrogen and the driver would flick a switch that released a sudden
huge mass of nitrogen out through small holes in a copper pipe hidden under
the rear bumper.  Every corner - just like you Duncan - the cars following
would seem to suffer fuel starvation problems and by the time the cars
following got un-spluttered again, the Mini was far gone.

> You need oxygen in the air/fuel mixture - not pure nitrogen and fuel.
>
> Leave it up to Ken to tell a great story !
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "MadMarx" <tr4racing@googlemail.com>

Bill Babcock
billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660