fot

Re: [Fot] Valve guides

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve guides
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:20:48 -0500
Cc: rpm724@att.net, ryan.murphy@fdlco.wi.gov
Thanks to all who responded to my questions regarding valve guides and
clearances.  I just realized that we had 17 race weekends on that cylinder
head!  I'm just learning at what point various things like valve grinds and
guide replacement should be done.  Based on what we're seeing so far, doing
the valves every 8 or 9 races should work for us.  We also had a hole burned
in the head gasket where the shroud was cut away around the inlet valve on
#2 cylinder.  So a new head gasket every 8 or 9 races should hopefully solve
that problem also.  The head gasket had 11 race weekends on it.

      The machinist has checked the ID of the guides and from what he has
told me so far we will replace all of the guides.  I'm going up to meet with
him later this week and we'll determine what else has to be done, such as
replace some of the valves that have worn stems.  We do have a spare stock
head with the stock valves and I'm thinking of maybe using some of those if
need be and they clean up okay.  Is there any benefit to using currently
available valves over the original Triumph valves?

      Now that I've got a machinist and shop who I trust and can work with,
doing the periodic renewing shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again, the FOT is great!!

Tim Murphy

1961 TR4 #317