fot

[Fot] Racing a Triumph

To: FoT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Racing a Triumph
From: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@att.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:23:07 -0700 (PDT)
I think if you want to race these cars you have to love these cars. And, when
you mix emotion with the costs, you really have to love the opportunity to be
at
speed in these cars.
The elixir that runs through your soul when the stars aline and you've really
hit a peak in matching the driving experience and the connection between you
and
your car is toxic.
Modified in the spirit of vintage racing should be the thought.
Safety should be the #1 modification the cars have leeway with as far as
sanctioning rules.
Reliability modifications should be the #2 modification, modern gearboxes for
example.
Performance should be the last modification that pushes the thought of variance
to vintage spirit.

I think all of us want to have fun with the cars and as I begin my third
rebuild
in 3 years I think I have a grasp of what it takes to try to run vintage...
Personally I had my build booklet upfront when I joined CVAR here in Texas. The
car I purchased was built with a Toyota T50 gearbox and that was the way I
presented it. CVAR 'allowed' me to run 2-3 events with the idea I would put a
Triumph gearbox in the car. I had what I think most of us agree, Quantum
Mechanics build me a gearbox which lasted about 2 weekends... I was warrantied
with Quantum which I thought was awesome another gearbox with a modified J type
overdrive which also lasted about 4 events... warrantied again by Quantum with
exchange I had a TR6 gearbox built with close ratio gear set from England... in
the mean time I put the T50 back in the car and along with about $4000 in
receipts went back to CVAR and said,,, you know,,, I tried to run like you
wanted me to but if you want to to run consistently as a customer, I'm going to
run the T50.... no problem.
I know the MG guys are having a tough time with 50 year old gearboxes and their
sources gone... SOMETHING is going to have to change if these cars are going to
continue to run.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with slotted brakes, four caliper
pistons, roll cages, Hans devices, and other safety or reliability efforts...
the racing organizations are businesses at the end of the day... those who are
not flexible in business willing to modify will not survive in any business
format... IMHO....

Bobby Whitehead

on the hunt... again.....