fot

Re: [Fot] J-tpe OD enhancements for racing

To: <riverside@southslope.net>, "'Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley'" <triosan@gmail.com>, "'Friends'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] J-tpe OD enhancements for racing
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 12:09:16 -0600
Art,
In an A-Type definitely yes.... There are actually 3 ways to setup an
accumulator system on the A-Type:

1- Preferred for racing is using the early main case designed for the large
accumulator piston set.  You can identify this case as it has a Welch plug
on the bottom of the main case where the later cases are just molded
aluminum at this area.  With the large piston I can get the competition
accumulator spring which will easily obtain 450 lbs of pressure will really
let you know when you hit overdrive!

2- If you like a softer engagement you can go with the standard mid cycle
Triumph or Healy overdrive which use the smaller accumulator setup.  I run
these at around 350 to 400 lbs of pressure and they slide into overdrive
without the aggressiveness of the above setup.

3- This one is interesting where I use the smaller accumulator piston setup
but with a Jag spring setup which is middle of the road and the pressure is
around 475 lbs.

The huge difference here is that the A-Type overdrive uses an accumulator
system which gives immediate pressure to the operating pistons when engaged.
The J-Type uses a bleed off system where there is always about 15 - 20 lbs
of pressure on the system in a bypass mode and this is to provide
pressurized oil for the mainshaft to oil all of the rear bearings, bushings
etc.  When you engage the J-Type the solenoid blocks the bypass and send the
pressurized oil to the operating pistons but since there is no accumulator
it takes time for the pump to provide enough oil and pressure to move them
to the point of clutch engagement.

What to use in your car is of total personal preference.  Both units have
their advantages.  The A-Type is more adjustable in operation as stated
above but it contains nearly twice the number of parts vs. the J-Type
(reliability).  A well sorted A-Type is very reliable but is more difficult
to get to that point.  The J-Type is much less aggressive in operation and
not as adjustable but they rarely fail!  I have built a couple of J-Types
that are hard to discern in engagement speed over an A-Type even without the
accumulator setup and on occasion I have added in a lockout switch on the
top cover to allow J-Type operation in second gear which I love to use
especially on the Tail of the Dragon!!!

Again it boils down to what you have and what you would like to run.  They
are both very good units.  There is a key fact that everyone with an
overdrive needs to understand and that is oiling pressure.  The J-Type as
described above provides constant oiling pressure with the bypass valve
which allows the 15-20 lbs of oil pressure to run through the mainshaft to
keep all the parts well oiled and cool.  The A-Type provides total
accumulator pressure to the mainshaft through the center bushings.  This
pressure is a must or you will not have lubrication to the remaining parts.
I have seen a number of A-Type drivers that tell me their overdrive is not
working and just let it go at that.  If there is a pressure issue it WILL
destroy the overdrive!!!!  Always check your pressure at the top operating
port valve plug on the A-Type and at the bottom oil pressure port on the
J-Type.

Steve