fot

Re: [Fot] J-tpe OD enhancements for racing

To: "'Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley'" <triosan@gmail.com>, "'Friends'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] J-tpe OD enhancements for racing
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 09:16:37 -0600
While I have done a large number of overdrives, mostly A-Types I have to
admit not too many for racing purposes.  It is said that the A-Type does a
better job for the race cars because it has an accumulator system which
enables quicker engagement. There is a list of items I do for the A-type
units for racing but there are actually very few for the J-Type.

Replacing the relief valve with an uncushioned type and setting the pressure
for about 500 lbs would be one of the first steps.
Replacing the Uni-directional clutch with the new style
Replacing the main clutch and starting with an unfinished unit so that one
can machine the thickness to ensure the minimum amount of engagement
movement required.
Polishing the pump check valve seat to ensure a good seal.

Other than that a high quality rebuild and inspection of all bearings,
shafts etc.

The idea behind race prepping either unit is to have the unit engage as fast
as possible, hold the torque without slipping and then disengage as fast as
possible.

Steve Yott