fot

Re: [Fot] wheel & tyre sizes TR5/TR6

To: Enquiries Road & Track <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Fot] wheel & tyre sizes TR5/TR6
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 19:33:05 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
On 4/10/2013 10:55 PM, Enquiries Road & Track wrote:
> i would like some comments on suitable wheel tyre sizes for a road driven
> TR with near stock ride height.
> .
> As best i can tell from some google searches, a common "modern" fitment
> seems to be 16 x7" rim with zero offset and about 205/55/16 tyre
>
> can anyone with wheels/tyres close to this please comment. i particularly
> want to know if they protrude past the fender at all.. Our
> regs prohibit any wheel tyre combo that protrudes past the factory body
> work when viewed from above.
>
> every rim i can find above 6.5", hits on the balljoint and i would prefer
> not to use spacers. I have yet to find a 16 x 6.5"ally wheel that looks
> appropriate " for the TR
>
> thanks
> Terry
> Australia

Terry, if you have comparative measurements between the TR4 fenders
("wings") and the TR6, this info should help.  I have 16x7 VTO wheels
with +12mm offset, 205/60/16 tires on my TR4 and I can tell you that my
tires projected outside the fender lip by 1 1/4".  At the time of those
measurements I had 0 camber.  I've since gone to negative camber and
will put 195s on the car but haven't gotten there yet so can't report
results.  BTW, +12mm offset is *wrong* for the TRs.  Well, unless you
don't want to go to full lock.  I'd guess that 0 offset would probably work.

Are the Superlite folks still in business?  They're from your neck of
the woods, and I should have kept my 15x6 Superlites instead of going
this route.  Oh well, live and .... live.

jim

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA