fot

Re: [Fot] Rear End Ratios

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rear End Ratios
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 14:45:28 -0500
This is a very easy change, once you get the overdrive out of the car.
Just change the sun and planet gears. I believe the big Healeys used the
higher ratio.  I personally think the closer stock Triumph 22 percent is
the best for racing even though it makes some of the gear combinations
the same overall ratio when you combine it with a close ratio gear set.
However, I would dearly love to have a 28 percent overdrive in my street
TR250. Sam Clark and I once ran into a 28 percent gear set that had been
running in a Triumph. I wish I had swapped those gears.  There are a lot
of 75 mph (read 80) speed limits in this part of the country.
Larry Young

On 7/2/2013 2:55 AM, TR4 Tony wrote:
> Another option may be to run a different overdrive ratio, depending on the
> type of unit you have.
>
>   I'm running an A type with a 28percent reduction and I believe that Chris
> Marx is running a j type which gives 25, a few other ways to drop the final
> drive and max revs.
>
> Regards
>

> Tony
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2 Jul 2013, at 03:51, Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:
>
>> I only run a couple hundred RPM higher at the end of the straights at RA
> than at VIR or Atlanta.  With a 4.1 and OD and 60 series tires, I'm at 5300 to
> 5500 coming into turn 5 and if I take the kink right I am about there going
> into Canada Corner.  I think I was in the 5200 to 5300 range when I was
> battling you on the back straight at VIR.
>> You should be fine.
>>
>> Tony Drews
>>
>> At 11:57 AM 7/1/2013, john hasty wrote:
>>> The overall ratio we have in the TR3A is 3.7 achieved with a 4.1 rear end
>>> and overdrive.  At VIR, Road Atlanta, Savanna and Mid Ohio, all with long
>>> straights, we are turning 6200 at the end of each of them.  Elkhart Lake
> has
>>> longer straights and we are concerned that we might need a taller rear end
>>> gear.  If we put 3.7 rear end gears in we would have an overall ratio of
>>> 3.66 which I believe would produce 800rpm less or the same as turning