fot

Re: [Fot] Gt6 differential failure

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Gt6 differential failure
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:12:58 -0500
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--047d7bfd0b789c1a29051ac251e1

I agree that it is consumable.
A change to something different would seem to lead to a redesign of all the
parts that mate to it and that could turn into a whole new set of other
related projects.
Likely a costly and complex endeavor to say the least.
Knowing you, I assume you are using a quality oil already as Steve
recommends.
I notice you are racing faster lately and seem to be doing great with the
car.

Begin Public Service announcement to all FoT...

That being said, (especially the faster you go) don't forget to remind
yourself regularly about how you need to treat the drivetrain.
Perhaps most importantly on this issue is careful driving with a constant
focus to smooth transition between the gears.
And really important is super smooth take-offs.
I'm lucky to have John Reed (best GT6 racer of all time) at the track with
me most of the time.
He is never afraid to remind me of this.
And does so on a regular basis when I'm leaving the grid.
Even after all these years of coaching he will still often yell at me
through my helmet prior to taking off.
something like....
 "Ride that F$#&%ng clutch baby!!"
or "Easy take off".
Wisdom I'm not afraid to admit I need to be reminded of in a tense
moment taking off to hit the track.
One slip of the foot or abrupt start is all it takes to do damage to the
differential.
I can trace most of my differential failures back to sketchy shift
transitions or abrupt starts...
We all hate to admit that an equipment failure is our own fault but,
speaking for myself, I know it often is.
This was an FoT Public Service Announcement...
Brought to you by Friendly Ghost Racing.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
1969 Triumph GT6+ Racecars

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:

> Mine disintegrated in a big way in the last race yesterday at Pitt Race.
> Last one did the same thing about 3-4 years ago.
> Should I just consider this a consumable item, or swap to something
> stronger?  What are other vintage racers doing?
>
> Sent from my mobile device

--047d7bfd0b789c1a29051ac251e1

 something different would seem to lead to a redesign of all the parts that=
 mate to it and that could turn into a whole new set of other related proje=
cts. </div><div>Likely a costly and complex endeavor=C2=A0to say the least.=
ve recommends.</div><div>I notice you are racing faster lately and seem to =
ially the faster you go) don&#39;t forget to remind yourself regularly abou=
t how you need to treat the drivetrain.</div><div>Perhaps most importantly =
on this issue=C2=A0is careful driving=C2=A0with a constant focus to=C2=A0sm=
ooth transition between the gears.</div><div>And really important is super =
smooth take-offs.</div><div>I&#39;m lucky to have John Reed (best GT6 racer=
 of all time) at the track with me most of the time.</div><div>He=C2=A0is n=
ever afraid to remind me of this.</div><div>And does so=C2=A0on a regular b=
asis when I&#39;m leaving the grid.</div><div>Even after all these years of=
 coaching he will still often=C2=A0yell at me through my helmet prior to ta=
div>Wisdom I&#39;m not afraid to admit I need to be reminded of in a tense =
moment=C2=A0taking off to hit the track.</div><div>One slip of the foot or =
abrupt start is all it takes to do damage to the differential.</div><div>I =
can trace most of my differential failures back to=C2=A0sketchy shift trans=
itions or abrupt starts...</div><div>We all hate to admit that an equipment=
 failure is our own fault but, speaking for myself, I know it often is.</di=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Scott Janzen=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Mine=
 disintegrated in a big way in the last race yesterday at Pitt Race. Last o=
ne did the same thing about 3-4 years ago.<br>
Should I just consider this a consumable item, or swap to something stronge=
r?=C2=A0 What are other vintage racers doing?<br>
Sent from my mobile device<br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=