fot

Re: [Fot] Gt6 differential failure

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Gt6 differential failure
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:17:11 -0500
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a11c324f83c041a051ac33769

Ah yes...Cooling.
While you have it out maybe it's worth while to see about adding a temp
gauge back there.
I think its usually done at the oil plug but I'm not sure.
That would seem to perhaps help in preventing a minor fail turn into a
major explosion.

I much enjoyed the thread about the Diff cooling options for the endurance
TR6's a while back.
I think it was Keith Files and some others discussing some of the options
for Chump car guys.
The unit was mounted in the modified wheel well if I remember correctly.
The tough part for our tiny GT6 seems to be where to put the cooler and
plumbing.
Has Anyone out there ever used an external diff cooler on a GT6?
If so, how was it set up?
Thanks!

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
1969 Triumph GT6+ Racecars

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:

> thanks, Jason - yes, I was banging through the gears, and there's now a
> steep 150' +/- DROP at this track, downhill turn, where I was in second
> gear at 7,000 RPM, first accelerating, then letting it slow me down as I
> approached the sharp right to the uphill climb.  I'm sure that did not do
> the diff any good.
>
> Somehow the idea of putting a Subaru diff in this car does not feel very
> "vintage".
>
> Question - has anyone checked the oil temp, and would cooling make a
> difference?  I do run Redline 75-85 gear oil.
>
> I will report back and send carnage photos when I get it out.
>
> On Jul 13, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Jason Ostrowski wrote:
>
> I agree that it is consumable.
> A change to something different would seem to lead to a redesign of all
> the parts that mate to it and that could turn into a whole new set of other
> related projects.
> Likely a costly and complex endeavor to say the least.
> Knowing you, I assume you are using a quality oil already as Steve
> recommends.
> I notice you are racing faster lately and seem to be doing great with the
> car.
>
> Begin Public Service announcement to all FoT...
>
> That being said, (especially the faster you go) don't forget to remind
> yourself regularly about how you need to treat the drivetrain.
> Perhaps most importantly on this issue is careful driving with a constant
> focus to smooth transition between the gears.
> And really important is super smooth take-offs.
> I'm lucky to have John Reed (best GT6 racer of all time) at the track with
> me most of the time.
> He is never afraid to remind me of this.
> And does so on a regular basis when I'm leaving the grid.
> Even after all these years of coaching he will still often yell at me
> through my helmet prior to taking off.
> something like....
>  "Ride that F$#&%ng clutch baby!!"
> or "Easy take off".
> Wisdom I'm not afraid to admit I need to be reminded of in a tense
> moment taking off to hit the track.
> One slip of the foot or abrupt start is all it takes to do damage to the
> differential.
> I can trace most of my differential failures back to sketchy shift
> transitions or abrupt starts...
> We all hate to admit that an equipment failure is our own fault but,
> speaking for myself, I know it often is.
> This was an FoT Public Service Announcement...
> Brought to you by Friendly Ghost Racing.
>
> Jason Ostrowski
> Friendly Ghost Racing
> 1969 Triumph GT6+ Racecars
>

> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:
>
>> Mine disintegrated in a big way in the last race yesterday at Pitt Race.
>> Last one did the same thing about 3-4 years ago.
>> Should I just consider this a consumable item, or swap to something
>> stronger?  What are other vintage racers doing?

> [...]

be it&#39;s worth while to see about adding a temp gauge back there.</div><=
div>I think its usually done at the oil plug but I&#39;m not sure.</div><di=
v>That would seem to perhaps help=C2=A0in=C2=A0preventing a minor fail turn=
thread about the Diff cooling options for the endurance TR6&#39;s a while b=
ack.</div><div>I think it was Keith Files and some others discussing some o=
f the options for Chump car guys. </div><div>The unit was mounted=C2=A0in t=
he modified wheel well if I remember correctly.</div><div>The tough part fo=
r our tiny GT6 seems to be where to put the cooler and plumbing.</div><div>=
Has Anyone out there ever used an external diff cooler on a GT6?</div><div>=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sjanzen@me.com"; target=3D"_blank">sj=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div s=
tyle=3D"-ms-word-wrap: break-word;">thanks, Jason - yes, I was banging thro=
ugh the gears, and there&#39;s now a steep 150&#39; +/- DROP at this track,=
 downhill turn, where I was in second gear at 7,000 RPM, first accelerating=
, then letting it slow me down as I approached the sharp right to the uphil=
l climb.=C2=A0 I&#39;m sure that did not do the diff any good.<div><br></di=
v><div>Somehow the idea of putting a Subaru diff in this car does not feel =
ked the oil temp, and would cooling make a difference?=C2=A0 I do run Redli=
iv>On Jul 13, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Jason Ostrowski wrote:</div><br><div dir=
ng different would seem to lead to a redesign of all the parts that mate to=
 it and that could turn into a whole new set of other related projects. </d=
iv><div>Likely a costly and complex endeavor=C2=A0to say the least.</div><d=
iv>Knowing you, I assume you are using a quality oil already as Steve recom=
mends.</div><div>I notice you are racing faster lately and seem to be doing=
e faster you go) don&#39;t forget to remind yourself regularly about how yo=
u need to treat the drivetrain.</div><div>Perhaps most importantly on this =
issue=C2=A0is careful driving=C2=A0with a constant focus to=C2=A0smooth tra=
nsition between the gears.</div><div>And really important is super smooth t=
ake-offs.</div><div>I&#39;m lucky to have John Reed (best GT6 racer of all =
time) at the track with me most of the time.</div><div>He=C2=A0is never afr=
aid to remind me of this.</div><div>And does so=C2=A0on a regular basis whe=
n I&#39;m leaving the grid.</div><div>Even after all these years of coachin=
g he will still often=C2=A0yell at me through my helmet prior to taking off=
om I&#39;m not afraid to admit I need to be reminded of in a tense moment=
=C2=A0taking off to hit the track.</div><div>One slip of the foot or abrupt=
 start is all it takes to do damage to the differential.</div><div>I can tr=
ace most of my differential failures back to=C2=A0sketchy shift transitions=
 or abrupt starts...</div><div>We all hate to admit that an equipment failu=
re is our own fault but, speaking for myself, I know it often is.</div><div=
>This was an FoT=C2=A0Public Service Announcement...</div><div>Brought to y=
v class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Scott Janzen <span=
 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sjanzen@me.com"; target=3D"_blank">sjanze=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204=
,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid">Mine disintegrated in =
a big way in the last race yesterday at Pitt Race. Last one did the same th=
ing about 3-4 years ago.<br>
Should I just consider this a consumable item, or swap to something stronge=
r?=C2=A0 What are other vintage racers doing?<br>
Sent from my mobile device<br>
/a><br>
>http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>