fot

Re: [Fot] Rotor run out

To: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rotor run out
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:04:12 -0600
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
On 9/13/2015 2:06 PM, Kas Kastner wrote:
> I had this done last month on my Q50S Infiniti after my two long trips
> to the East. It seemed like it did not take any time at all to
> complete the job and it brought the brakes back to a new condition.

The first instance of this equipment that I remember was in the early
`80s, for Toyota Tercels.  For some unfathomable reason, Toyota's
designers put the rotors on the inboard side of the hub, and because it
was FWD, to get at the rotors required removing the front uprights,
which also required disassembling all of the front suspension and the
drive axles, so some enterprising outfit created a rig that could be
bolted to the Tercel's caliper mount and the rotors were turned by
raising the drive wheel end of the car and running the engine at ~2500
rpm while the cutting tools were separately operated by electric motor,
with the opposite wheel locked because of the open differential.

But, then, not exactly any worse than Toyota's design for fifth gear in
the transaxle, which required three midgets, eight hands, four magnets
and numerous intercessionary prayers to one's Almighty to repair.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive