fot

Re: [Fot] Gearbox thoughts

To: "'Dean Tetterton'" <tr3a58@verizon.net>, "'FOT Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Gearbox thoughts
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:49:22 -0500
I have had the opportunity to rebuild many TR gearboxes and a handful of
Stag boxes and would like to offer my opinion and that is what it is... my
opinion.

The Stag box added a lot of complexity to the area of the laygear and shaft.
The layshaft is different in that it has two outside dimensions that match
up to the spacers for the needle bearings. Now you have needle bearings,
spacers and thrust washers.  I am basically not a fan of this arrangement as
there are many more parts to fail and the needle bearings are known to fail.
Where the Stag laygear does benefit is from having two rear bearings!

The real problem occurs when excessive torque on the single rear bearing
causes the bearing and or shaft to fail.  Once there is play in the bearing
to shaft fit the laygear starts floating up, down and side to side which
then causes non-parallel loads on the bronze thrust washers and they begin
to fail.

I have bored a good number of laygears to install double rear bearings in
the rear of the gear.  I do not use the "open cage" bearing as the TR6 uses
but I use the TR4 type enclosed bearings.  I do this operation on all
gearboxes I rebuild now because I am sold on this fix.  The bronze thrust
washers will withstand the loads on them as long as they are square with
each other and the laygear end float is properly set and I use no more than
.006" of end float.

Just my opinion!

Steve Yott