fot

Re: [Fot] Gearbox thoughts

To: "<rkramer3@austin.rr.com>" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com> s=q20140121; t=1444954065; bh=6nWLvpQkYCx/IqPanhjHGFOOvsYUxz11Y0a2wOTD/GI=; h=Received:Received:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Message-Id:From: Subject:Date:To; b=lmkeAjamxYEk8jQLyhCC96nr1A/xh3lb/pn6IE+gBK6J3RupoDb1anP0epjcF+IYE z1k9jieO8sSrnS3S7rZjE9UsNkwMMgA44ZW7mdKp2CwS1Jv3ffqpg2whrT/vWiC71I Inb+h1rvGlqLUNhZPhyYlSFZkyCQ5fyHvWvVP8tbqaDVFf7tEXKRgVJmaSJKuGsHbO FYCvmmsF/QRnzqlK2eeJa1hCTmfyJ6rR6pRUvUg8Yid0+MNg0FUQyIdhRq/FMJw8o4 dVx6ctNcT81yWORseG6uDbKRzjymqZ7J9aZ/a72PAj+h5CJlmusPWjKI+07/+GIsGt i448GpP+IJMlQ==
Subject: Re: [Fot] Gearbox thoughts
From: Jeff Durant <jeff_durant@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 17:07:31 -0700
Cc: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Bob and Dean,
I've built up 2 gearboxes using Stag cases and laygear set-ups.  The 1st uses a
late TR6 gear set, a J-type with a Volvo annulus and planetary(28% I believe).
It is in my TR250 street car running an old regional race engine.  It is the
smoothest TR gearbox I've ever had.  The tall OD is great for very high speed
cruising with the 3.45 rear.  The engine pulls it effortlessly.  I run redline
synthetic.
The 2nd is a early, steel bushed, CR gear set on a modified late MS, Stag case
and Laygear set-up for the TR6 racer.  I have not run it yet however.
I've heard even this set-up will fail under hard racing conditions but last far
longer than a standard TR6 Laygear set-up.
The dog box or a jericho is the way to go I'm told but pricey as the last
several posts have commented on.
Regards,
Jeff Durant
TR6 #12