fot

Re: [Fot] Road America; Sports Car Digest

To: cudapilot@comcast.net aZKsF2STv86o0DXu6wjFRv9Ei2+XAcZUsgdmbsGUaOJk9Y5d3duMUM0Caz+kF8PGj87QkEnGigC1Lpr2vSL03W0yJRfC4sLdkP+ckSjTmHnjxMBg1HNCRdZP SaeRMCe/qSKDdH0IICx5sg==
Subject: Re: [Fot] Road America; Sports Car Digest
From: Dave <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:13:02 -0700
Cc: fot <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-6B483D99-FE26-4D19-AFA4-35A6BCEC5441
        charset=utf-8

Oh.  I forgot to mention Brian's sweet Barracuda, also featured in Sports Ca=
r Digest.  Very cool and unusual race car for a road racer.

// Dave

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 25, 2016, at 9:25 AM, cudapilot@comcast.net wrote:
>=20
> Allen-
>=20
> Check out the attached from fellow FOT'er John Reed.  John was crewing for=
 us last weekend.
>=20
> Brian Garcia
> Friendly Ghost Racing
>=20
>=20
>=20
igest, I would highly recommend it.
> There is terrific written and photographic coverage of vintage race events=
 world wide. =20
> Photos of Jason's and Allen's cars are included, as well as Tony G's McLar=
en at RA.
> The subscription is free and comes about once a week.
>=20
> // Dave H.
>=20
>=20
kend I have had in 21 years. I finally had the opportunity to do the drive i=
nto town for the Friday night race car concourse. As a spectator, it is a th=
rilling event. As a participant, it is incredible. They estimated that there=
 were 20,000 people lining the streets. We were honored with a =E2=80=9CFirs=
t Reserve=E2=80=9D trophy in Class F for the Triumph.
>=20
> On Saturday, we set a new best lap time of 2:45.2.=20
>=20
> On Sunday, we placed first in class during the feature race.
>=20
> The range of driving skill that is allowed to run this event became an iss=
ue for me during the weekend. During a qualifying race on Saturday, a Porsch=
e #80, overcooked the brakes coming into 5, turned the car 180 degrees, and a=
s he entered the turn mid track RELEASED his brakes and went straight throug=
h the turn at high speed. Fortunately, I saw the smoke from the braking in m=
y left mirror and decided to go straight rather than turning for the apex. T=
he Porsche flew by missing me by 6 feet. At the next run, i found him sidewa=
ys in the Kink with long skid marks leading to his stationary car. I would h=
ighly suggest a driving school for this individual.
>=20
> I want to thank Richard and Dan Gehweiler for making this weekend so succe=
ssful. It was truly a team effort which makes all the effort that much more m=
eaningful. And thanks Jason for helping us out with the hardware.
>=20
> Best,
>=20
> Allen=20
>=20
>  =20
> Jody & Allen Washatko
> W51 N664 Highland Drive
> Cedarburg, WI 53012
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > On Jul 18, 2016, at 11:18 PM, Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com> w=
rote:
> >=20
> > Well, my feelings and results are a mixed bag of high and low.
> > In general the weekend was a flurry of activity... The event was deep in=
 competition, dollars and activity; In so many ways.
> > The atmosphere at this race is as rich as it gets for the glacial hills o=
f Wisconsin.
> > Beauty of folks, machines, and nature were in bounty.
> > The 50 year celebration of Can -Am was rather glorious; and made any loc=
al race you may be used to, seem like a crappy slot car track in your Buddy'=
s basement.
> > Our own Tony Garmey was out and quite pointy at sharp end of the Grid.
> > He was deep in the middle of a multi million dollar battle of the big bo=
ys.
> > He held his own in all the sessions and raced to the very front of the a=
ction. He hung on to the top five in a field of some 50 machines of power, w=
ealth and mechanical excellence.
> > The racing in the can-am was simply Phenomenal.
> > In the end it was the 1974 UOP Shadows that took away the big Kitty; win=
ning the feature race and the stealing both the visual and speed prize for t=
he entire weekend... proving that the last years of the Can Am were indeed a=
 thing of special greatness.
> >=20
> > All in all, the level of preparation and the standard fare in every race=
 group was top notch.
> > A clean lap in most groups was rather rare due to high volume as well as=
 obvious differences in driver ability.
> > The Triumphs:
> > There were only 3 Triumphs at the HUGE event.
> > I'd have to Give the cup to Allen W. In his wonderful red TR6. he finish=
ed all his sessions and ran well all weekend. He took first prize in the dow=
ntown Racecar  beauty contest driving back to the track with the prestigious=
 Blue Ribbon in his concourse class!
> > Well shown and well raced>>>A+ indeed!
> > I can't believe my own luck... or lack there of.
> > I was really fast in my qualifying sessions. I was actually taking it ea=
sy and trying to save my car for a real Porsche Massacre in my races. And ev=
en with holding back my big cards in my 3 Qualifying sessions... I very easi=
ly set my fastest time ever at Road America... And never even had a clean la=
p.
> > I qualified 17th of 62 cars for the first of 2 races.
> > but on the way to the grid a part on my car that simply should not fail.=
.. Failed.
> > On the way up the hill to grid myself for the race, my crew noticed a sh=
ake and a shimmer in the wheel way.
> > When told of the shake I quickly exited the grid and motored down the hi=
ll. We jacked the car up and found one of my custom "bullet proof" Quarter M=
aster engineered Hubs broken...a big fat fail.
> > So on the GT6 front... The song remains the same...
> > I am very fast. And Not for lack of effort or preparation... I am once a=
gain beaten by equipment in the face of my own desire to push the car to a n=
ew limit.
> > Perhaps with a dollar or two for every nickel I have; my troubles would b=
e over...
> > Quarter Master Doesn't make custom parts anymore.
> > so our old solution is part of the good old days; and today is no longer=
 "problem solved".
> > Brian and I are looking at our current fabrication options now.
> >=20
> > Which brings me to the highlight of my weekend.
> > Brian... Racing our Cheetah wheel to wheel for first place overall in gr=
oup 3.
> > Back and forth with the McKee of a fellow named A.C. all race; changing p=
osition frequently.
> > Brian was in first place on the final lap. Going into turn 5 the rear su=
spension Broke!
> > The Tire was punctured as it rubbed against the frame rail.
> > With Balls, and a will, and our always dream....
> > Like a sick NASCAR Nightmare...
> > He kept going for 2 miles with rubber flying and blue smoke a blazing.
> > The tire fell off the rim on the front stretch as he took the checkered f=
lag for second place... finishing only inches in front of Doc Bundy!
> > It was the best race and finish for a non pro race I have ever seen!
> > 2nd place for the Cheetah in a spectacular fashion!
> > At the podium celebration... Even Brian Redman was at a loss for words.
> > Our Plymouth Barracuda finished all its sessions and was handling well.
> > It could use another couple few hundred horsepower to win...
> > But sure was the talk of the town!
> > Great Highs and Great Lows...
> > That's why we play this game.
> > Because the feelings you get from the skin you put in; take you from eve=
nt to event, in a whirlwind of emotion.
> > And you never know how its gonna play out until you flip the kill switch=
 off.  =20
> > Thanks to everyone that sent me a kind word this weekend,
> > And to those that came to help me in person! wow!
> > All that support was well received...
> > Jason Ostrowski
> > Friendly Ghost Racing
> >          =20
wi.rr.com
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
ast.net
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
mcast.net
>=20
>=20
>=20
> <DSCN5215.JPG>

--Apple-Mail-6B483D99-FE26-4D19-AFA4-35A6BCEC5441
        charset=utf-8

weet Barracuda, also featured in Sports Car Digest. &nbsp;Very cool and unus=
br>On Jul 25, 2016, at 9:25 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:cudapilot@comcast.net";>cud=
iv style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><div aria-l=
ohn Reed. &nbsp;John was crewing for us last weekend.</div><div aria-label=3D=
le:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-s=
ize:12pt;" data-mce-style=3D"color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style: n=
ormal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-=
size: 12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Allen Washatko" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:awashatko@w=
nds of Triumph" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net=
ul 24, 2016, at 6:19 PM, davehogye &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dlhogye@comcast.net=
" target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:dlhogye@comcast.net";>dlhogye@com=
"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000" data-mce-style=3D"font=
-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000;"><div>If any of you folks a=
ren't subscribed to the online magazine, Sports Car Digest, I would highly r=
ecommend it.</div><div>There is terrific written and photographic coverage o=
f vintage race events world wide. &nbsp;</div><div>Photos of Jason's and All=
en's cars are included, as well as Tony G's McLaren at RA.</div><div>The sub=
or:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-famil=
y:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;" data-mce-style=3D"color: #000;=
 font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family=
: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Allen Washatko=
" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:awashatko@wi.rr.com"; target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=
ason Ostrowski" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jason@multivintage.com"; target=3D"_bla=
nk" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:jason@multivintage.com";>jason@multivintage.com</=
"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>&=
[...]
, at 11:18 PM, Jason Ostrowski &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jason@multivintage.com"=
 target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:jason@multivintage.com";>jason@mul=
re a mixed bag of high and low.<br>&gt; In general the weekend was a flurry o=
f activity... The event was deep in competition, dollars and activity; In so=
 many ways.<br>&gt; The atmosphere at this race is as rich as it gets for th=
e glacial hills of Wisconsin.<br>&gt; Beauty of folks, machines, and nature w=
ere in bounty.<br>&gt; The 50 year celebration of Can -Am was rather gloriou=
s; and made any local race you may be used to, seem like a crappy slot car t=
rack in your Buddy's basement.<br>&gt; Our own Tony Garmey was out and quite=
 pointy at sharp end of the Grid.<br>&gt; He was deep in the middle of a mul=
ti million dollar battle of the big boys.<br>&gt; He held his own in all the=
 sessions and raced to the very front of the action. He hung on to the top f=
ive in a field of some 50 machines of power, wealth and mechanical excellenc=
e.<br>&gt; The racing in the can-am was simply Phenomenal.<br>&gt; In the en=
d it was the 1974 UOP Shadows that took away the big Kitty; winning the feat=
ure race and the stealing both the visual and speed prize for the entire wee=
kend... proving that the last years of the Can Am were indeed a thing of spe=
cial greatness.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; All in all, the level of preparation and th=
e standard fare in every race group was top notch.<br>&gt; A clean lap in mo=
st groups was rather rare due to high volume as well as obvious differences i=
n driver ability.<br>&gt; The Triumphs:<br>&gt; There were only 3 Triumphs a=
t the HUGE event.<br>&gt; I'd have to Give the cup to Allen W. In his wonder=
ful red TR6. he finished all his sessions and ran well all weekend. He took f=
irst prize in the downtown Racecar &nbsp;beauty contest driving back to the t=
rack with the prestigious Blue Ribbon in his concourse class!<br>&gt; Well s=
hown and well raced&gt;&gt;&gt;A+ indeed!<br>&gt; I can't believe my own luc=
k... or lack there of.<br>&gt; I was really fast in my qualifying sessions. I=
 was actually taking it easy and trying to save my car for a real Porsche Ma=
ssacre in my races. And even with holding back my big cards in my 3 Qualifyi=
ng sessions... I very easily set my fastest time ever at Road America... And=
 never even had a clean lap.<br>&gt; I qualified 17th of 62 cars for the fir=
st of 2 races.<br>&gt; but on the way to the grid a part on my car that simp=
ly should not fail... Failed.<br>&gt; On the way up the hill to grid myself f=
or the race, my crew noticed a shake and a shimmer in the wheel way.<br>&gt;=
 When told of the shake I quickly exited the grid and motored down the hill.=
 We jacked the car up and found one of my custom "bullet proof" Quarter Mast=
er engineered Hubs broken...a big fat fail.<br>&gt; So on the GT6 front... T=
he song remains the same...<br>&gt; I am very fast. And Not for lack of effo=
rt or preparation... I am once again beaten by equipment in the face of my o=
wn desire to push the car to a new limit.<br>&gt; Perhaps with a dollar or t=
wo for every nickel I have; my troubles would be over...<br>&gt; Quarter Mas=
ter Doesn't make custom parts anymore.<br>&gt; so our old solution is part o=
f the good old days; and today is no longer "problem solved".<br>&gt; Brian a=
nd I are looking at our current fabrication options now.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Wh=
ich brings me to the highlight of my weekend.<br>&gt; Brian... Racing our Ch=
eetah wheel to wheel for first place overall in group 3.<br>&gt; Back and fo=
rth with the McKee of a fellow named A.C. all race; changing position freque=
ntly.<br>&gt; Brian was in first place on the final lap. Going into turn 5 t=
he rear suspension Broke!<br>&gt; The Tire was punctured as it rubbed agains=
t the frame rail.<br>&gt; With Balls, and a will, and our always dream....<b=
r>&gt; Like a sick NASCAR Nightmare...<br>&gt; He kept going for 2 miles wit=
h rubber flying and blue smoke a blazing.<br>&gt; The tire fell off the rim o=
n the front stretch as he took the checkered flag for second place... finish=
ing only inches in front of Doc Bundy!<br>&gt; It was the best race and fini=
sh for a non pro race I have ever seen!<br>&gt; 2nd place for the Cheetah in=
 a spectacular fashion!<br>&gt; At the podium celebration... Even Brian Redm=
an was at a loss for words.<br>&gt; Our Plymouth Barracuda finished all its s=
essions and was handling well.<br>&gt; It could use another couple few hundr=
ed horsepower to win...<br>&gt; But sure was the talk of the town!<br>&gt; G=
reat Highs and Great Lows...<br>&gt; That's why we play this game.<br>&gt; B=
ecause the feelings you get from the skin you put in; take you from event to=
 event, in a whirlwind of emotion.<br>&gt; And you never know how its gonna p=
lay out until you flip the kill switch off. &nbsp; <br>&gt; Thanks to everyo=
ne that sent me a kind word this weekend,<br>&gt; And to those that came to h=
elp me in person! wow!<br>&gt; All that support was well received...<br>&gt;=
 Jason Ostrowski<br>&gt; Friendly Ghost Racing<br>&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &=
nbsp; &nbsp; <br>&gt; _______________________________________________<br>&gt=
; <a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"m=
"http://www.fot-racing.com"; target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.fo=
=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D"_blank" data-mce-href=3D"http=