fot

Re: [Fot] Bring a trailer

To: Dennis DeLap <yellow-green@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Bring a trailer
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 06:24:26 -0500
Cc: "FOT@autox.team.net FOT@autox.team.net" <FOT@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_7E72B8B3-AAA5-4E42-935F-98B4A331AFA2

Yes, I=92ve sold two Morgans there since April.  You enter the =
information, photos, videos, etc. on their website and give them your =
best reasons for featuring your car.  If they accept it, your listing =
fee is $250.  Stay near your computer throughout Day One and for the =
last six hours or so.  You=92ll want to be able to answer questions =
quickly.  You need very good photos, shot in good light, and a =
walk-around video plus some driving video will help put bidders at ease. =
 You can also submit links to your own Flickr page or Youtube for =
additional photos and videos, or add them later in the comments windows =
once the auction starts.  Bidders have to register with their credit =
card, so once the auction ends, the high bidder=92s card is immediately =
debited 5% of the purchase price, most likely minimizing the chance =
someone will back out.

BaT insisted on low reserves on both Morgans, most likely because they =
looked at what they thought were comparable sales via completed eBay =
auctions (which had been very low for many months).  It=92s in their =
interest to see it sell (so they get their cut) and they have the =
leverage to insist on a low reserve.  Bidding remained stale until the =
last 15 minutes of the schedule, and then things took off.  Three =
bidders in both cases drove up the price.  The countdown clock at a BaT =
auction resets to two minutes every time someone places a bid in the =
last minute, so in both cases, my auctions ran for another 25-30 minutes =
while bidders kept hiking the price.

Commenters liked the photos and video and the car=92s story in both =
cases... make sure to tell "the story=94 of your car, whatever it is.  =
Nobody cared about the number of miles or minor problems but readers and =
bidders really liked knowing the history of both cars, particularly the =
second one I sold, which had belonged to my late friend Frank, who had =
raced it in Europe and the US and restored it twice.  His wife, son and =
daughter started commenting about halfway through the auction and =
Frank=92s racing buddies starting commenting, too.  That one garnered a =
remarkable sales price. =20

When the auction was over, I heard from the high bidder within 24-36 =
hours and both wired money straight to my account.  I ended up holding =
both cars for a few weeks while they arranged shipping from Texas to VA =
or DC.

So =97 some benefits over eBay are: 1) readers and bidders are all car =
enthusiasts and tell their friends about anything interesting on BaT, 2) =
bidders must register with their credit card and are less likely to back =
out, and 3) the reset on the countdown clock keeps bidders from sniping =
each other with last-second bids, and really helps the seller by =
allowing the bidding to continue.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas USA

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_7E72B8B3-AAA5-4E42-935F-98B4A331AFA2

charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">Yes, I=92ve sold two Morgans there since April. &nbsp;You =
enter the information, photos, videos, etc. on their website and give =
them your best reasons for featuring your car. &nbsp;If they accept it, =
your listing fee is $250. &nbsp;Stay near your computer throughout Day =
One and for the last six hours or so. &nbsp;You=92ll want to be able to =
answer questions quickly. &nbsp;You need very good photos, shot in good =
light, and a walk-around video plus some driving video will help put =
bidders at ease. &nbsp;You can also submit links to your own Flickr page =
or Youtube for additional photos and videos, or add them later in the =
comments windows once the auction starts. &nbsp;Bidders have to register =
with their credit card, so once the auction ends, the high bidder=92s =
card is immediately debited 5% of the purchase price, most likely =
minimizing the chance someone will back out.<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">BaT insisted on low reserves on both =
Morgans, most likely because they looked at what they thought were =
comparable sales via completed eBay auctions (which had been very low =
for many months). &nbsp;It=92s in their interest to see it sell (so they =
get their cut) and they have the leverage to insist on a low reserve. =
&nbsp;Bidding remained stale until the last 15 minutes of the schedule, =
and then things took off. &nbsp;Three bidders in both cases drove up the =
price. &nbsp;The countdown clock at a BaT auction resets to two minutes =
every time someone places a bid in the last minute, so in both cases, my =
auctions ran for another 25-30 minutes while bidders kept hiking the =
class=3D"">Commenters liked the photos and video and the car=92s story =
in both cases... make sure to tell "the story=94 of your car, whatever =
it is. &nbsp;Nobody cared about the number of miles or minor problems =
but readers and bidders really liked knowing the history of both cars, =
particularly the second one I sold, which had belonged to my late friend =
Frank, who had raced it in Europe and the US and restored it twice. =
&nbsp;His wife, son and daughter started commenting about halfway =
through the auction and Frank=92s racing buddies starting commenting, =
too. &nbsp;That one garnered a remarkable sales price. &nbsp;</div><div =
over, I heard from the high bidder within 24-36 hours and both wired =
money straight to my account. &nbsp;I ended up holding both cars for a =
few weeks while they arranged shipping from Texas to VA or DC.</div><div =
over eBay are: 1) readers and bidders are all car enthusiasts and tell =
their friends about anything interesting on BaT, 2) bidders must =
register with their credit card and are less likely to back out, and 3) =
the reset on the countdown clock keeps bidders from sniping each other =
with last-second bids, and really helps the seller by allowing the =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">

class=3D"">On Sep 12, 2016, at 6:45 PM, Dennis DeLap &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:yellow-green@sbcglobal.net"; =
class=3D"">yellow-green@sbcglobal.net</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><div class=3D""><div style=3D"font-family: =
Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;" class=3D"">Does anyone on the list =
know how to sell a car on Bring a =
br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; =
class=3D"">fot@autox.team.net</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">http://www.fot-racing.com<br class=3D""><br class=3D"">Donate: =