fot

Re: [Fot] Bring a trailer

To: D V <explore8@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Bring a trailer
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:10:08 -0500
Cc: "FOT@autox.team.net FOT@autox.team.net" <FOT@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_DEF7403D-C420-41D2-972E-F618ABE06E45

The first Morgan I posted was my own.  I=E2=80=99d been the only bidder =
at $22,000 on eBay three years prior. I=E2=80=99d done a lot of work to =
turn it from a nice unfinished show car that was not ready for the road =
into a reliable car that was about 98% finished.  I needed to get =
$26,000 to break even but they insisted on a reserve of $21,500.  It was =
a much modified 1957 Morgan Plus 4 and a four-seater at that, so the =
market for it is probably tiny and I was a bit anxious until 13 minutes =
were left on the clock, when the bidding passed $26K.  The auction went =
another 29 minutes past the scheduled end time and ended up at $39,751 =
so I was pretty happy.  It=E2=80=99s this one: =
http://tinyurl.com/j46dgx3 . =20

The second one I sold (my late friend=E2=80=99s) 1968 Plus 4 went to =
$54,000.  Contrast those results with a fairly stock 1957 Plus 4 =
four-seater that sold a few days later for $19,600.  My impression of =
the problem with the auction is that there was no story told there and =
the car just didn=E2=80=99t seem to have much pizzaz.  =
http://tinyurl.com/j48pdv7

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas USA

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:42 AM, D V <explore8@outlook.com> wrote:
>=20
> Thanks Duncan! I was curious about the reserve price and how BAT set =
it. I am on that website often and have seen several lately not hit =
their reserve even though the bidding seemed reasonable.
wrote:
>=20
>> Yes, I=E2=80=99ve sold two Morgans there since April.  You enter the =
information, photos, videos, etc. on their website and give them your =
best reasons for featuring your car.  If they accept it, your listing =
fee is $250.  Stay near your computer throughout Day One and for the =
last six hours or so.  You=E2=80=99ll want to be able to answer =
questions quickly.  You need very good photos, shot in good light, and a =
walk-around video plus some driving video will help put bidders at ease. =
 You can also submit links to your own Flickr page or Youtube for =
additional photos and videos, or add them later in the comments windows =
once the auction starts.  Bidders have to register with their credit =
card, so once the auction ends, the high bidder=E2=80=99s card is =
immediately debited 5% of the purchase price, most likely minimizing the =
chance someone will back out.
>>=20
>> BaT insisted on low reserves on both Morgans, most likely because =
they looked at what they thought were comparable sales via completed =
eBay auctions (which had been very low for many months).  It=E2=80=99s =
in their interest to see it sell (so they get their cut) and they have =
the leverage to insist on a low reserve.  Bidding remained stale until =
the last 15 minutes of the schedule, and then things took off.  Three =
bidders in both cases drove up the price.  The countdown clock at a BaT =
auction resets to two minutes every time someone places a bid in the =
last minute, so in both cases, my auctions ran for another 25-30 minutes =
while bidders kept hiking the price.
>>=20
>> Commenters liked the photos and video and the car=E2=80=99s story in =
both cases... make sure to tell "the story=E2=80=9D of your car, =
whatever it is.  Nobody cared about the number of miles or minor =
problems but readers and bidders really liked knowing the history of =
both cars, particularly the second one I sold, which had belonged to my =
late friend Frank, who had raced it in Europe and the US and restored it =
twice.  His wife, son and daughter started commenting about halfway =
through the auction and Frank=E2=80=99s racing buddies starting =
commenting, too.  That one garnered a remarkable sales price. =20
>>=20
>> When the auction was over, I heard from the high bidder within 24-36 =
hours and both wired money straight to my account.  I ended up holding =
both cars for a few weeks while they arranged shipping from Texas to VA =
or DC.
>>=20
>> So =E2=80=94 some benefits over eBay are: 1) readers and bidders are =
all car enthusiasts and tell their friends about anything interesting on =
BaT, 2) bidders must register with their credit card and are less likely =
to back out, and 3) the reset on the countdown clock keeps bidders from =
sniping each other with last-second bids, and really helps the seller by =
allowing the bidding to continue.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.com =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/explore8@outlook.com =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/explore8@outlook.com>
>>=20
>>=20

--Apple-Mail=_DEF7403D-C420-41D2-972E-F618ABE06E45

charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">The first Morgan I posted was my own. &nbsp;I=E2=80=99d been =
the only bidder at $22,000 on eBay three years prior. I=E2=80=99d done a =
lot of work to turn it from a nice unfinished show car that was not =
ready for the road into a reliable car that was about 98% finished. =
&nbsp;I needed to get $26,000 to break even but they insisted on a =
reserve of $21,500. &nbsp;It was a much modified 1957 Morgan Plus 4 and =
a four-seater at that, so the market for it is probably tiny and I was a =
bit anxious until 13 minutes were left on the clock, when the bidding =
passed $26K. &nbsp;The auction went another 29 minutes past the =
scheduled end time and ended up at $39,751 so I was pretty happy. =
&nbsp;It=E2=80=99s this one:&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/j46dgx3"; =
class=3D"">http://tinyurl.com/j46dgx3</a> . &nbsp;<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">The second one I sold (my late =
friend=E2=80=99s) 1968 Plus 4 went to $54,000. &nbsp;Contrast those =
results with a fairly stock 1957 Plus 4 four-seater that sold a few days =
later for $19,600. &nbsp;My impression of the problem with the auction =
is that there was no story told there and the car just didn=E2=80=99t =
seem to have much pizzaz. &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/j48pdv7"; =
class=3D""><div class=3D"">
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">

class=3D"">On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:42 AM, D V &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:explore8@outlook.com"; =
class=3D"">explore8@outlook.com</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D"">

charset=3Dus-ascii" class=3D"">

how BAT set it. I am on that website often and have seen several lately =
not hit their reserve even though the bidding seemed reasonable.<br =
class=3D"">
Sent from my iPhone</div>
On Sep 13, 2016, at 6:35 AM, Duncan Charlton &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:duncan.charlton54@gmail.com"; =
class=3D"">duncan.charlton54@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br class=3D"">
&nbsp;You enter the information, photos, videos, etc. on their website =
and give them your best reasons for featuring your car. &nbsp;If they =
accept it, your listing fee is $250. &nbsp;Stay near your computer =
throughout Day
 One and for the last six hours or so. &nbsp;You=E2=80=99ll want to be =
able to answer questions quickly. &nbsp;You need very good photos, shot =
in good light, and a walk-around video plus some driving video will help =
put bidders at ease. &nbsp;You can also submit links to your own
 Flickr page or Youtube for additional photos and videos, or add them =
later in the comments windows once the auction starts. &nbsp;Bidders =
have to register with their credit card, so once the auction ends, the =
high bidder=E2=80=99s card is immediately debited 5% of the
 purchase price, most likely minimizing the chance someone will back =
out.
likely because they looked at what they thought were comparable sales =
via completed eBay auctions (which had been very low for many months). =
&nbsp;It=E2=80=99s in their interest to see it sell (so they get
 their cut) and they have the leverage to insist on a low reserve. =
&nbsp;Bidding remained stale until the last 15 minutes of the schedule, =
and then things took off. &nbsp;Three bidders in both cases drove up the =
price. &nbsp;The countdown clock at a BaT auction resets to
 two minutes every time someone places a bid in the last minute, so in =
both cases, my auctions ran for another 25-30 minutes while bidders kept =
hiking the price.</div>
s story in both cases... make sure to tell "the story=E2=80=9D of your =
car, whatever it is. &nbsp;Nobody cared about the number of miles or =
minor problems but readers and bidders really liked knowing the history
 of both cars, particularly the second one I sold, which had belonged to =
my late friend Frank, who had raced it in Europe and the US and restored =
it twice. &nbsp;His wife, son and daughter started commenting about =
halfway through the auction and Frank=E2=80=99s racing buddies
 starting commenting, too. &nbsp;That one garnered a remarkable sales =
price. &nbsp;</div>
within 24-36 hours and both wired money straight to my account. &nbsp;I =
ended up holding both cars for a few weeks while they arranged shipping =
from Texas to VA or DC.</div>
bidders are all car enthusiasts and tell their friends about anything =
interesting on BaT, 2) bidders must register with their credit card and =
are less likely to back out, and 3) the reset on the
 countdown clock keeps bidders from sniping each other with last-second =
bids, and really helps the seller by allowing the bidding to =
continue.</div>
href=3D"mailto:yellow-green@sbcglobal.net"; =
class=3D"">yellow-green@sbcglobal.net</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
class=3D"">Does anyone on the list know how to sell a car on Bring a =
Trailer?</div>
_______________________________________________<br class=3D"">
 class=3D"">
class=3D"">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br class=3D"">
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br class=3D"">
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br class=3D"">
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br class=3D"">
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.=
com" class=3D"">
=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.com</a><=
br class=3D"">
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
class=3D"">
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/explore8@outlook.com"; =
class=3D"">
=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/explore8@outlook.com</a></span><=
br class=3D"">

--Apple-Mail=_DEF7403D-C420-41D2-972E-F618ABE06E45--

--===============1456643201582540393==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive