fot

[Fot] Fwd: Crown and pinion gear break in

Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Crown and pinion gear break in
From: rick.parent at att.net (Rick Parent)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 12:41:26 +0000 (UTC)
Looks like the pinion was way to deep.

    On Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:38 AM, Bill via Fot <fot at
autox.team.net> wrote:

 I doubt if a break-in procedure could have prevented failure, but as Marcel
says, checking the temperature of the diff could have stopped the damage. The
likely culprits are incorrect engagement or bad parts, but anything that heats
the gears enough to cook the oil off the parts will kill the gears. I had a
close call with one of the gear sets I use. Apparently I screwed up somewhere
in checking fit?when I pulled the rear end to assess the problem there was no
backlash. I have a huge finned differential cover so checking temperature
doesn?t help, but I could feel the car slowing quickly between shifts.
Fortunately I wasn?t doing my usual clutchless shifts and noticed the sudden
deceleration every time I disengaged the clutch. The gear teeth were slightly
blued and the oil smelled like a cesspool, but the gears were still usable once
I did the setup properly.

Bill