fot

Re: [Fot] Differential Setup

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Differential Setup
From: Bill Tobin via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 21:51:52 -0400

--------------4B3C2D5DA37C798E228A3010

Hi Guys, it took me a bit to find this info.

Long ago, in a Galaxie far away ( might have been a Fairlane though.
Doubt it was a Falcon)?? ((think about it, Ford guys!)) I worked for
several Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge garages. Did quite a few diffs

A few years ago I went to an auction of a closing dealership and bought
some Miller special tools, including a C 293 bearing puller. This puller
uses different inserts to fit various bearings. The Miller C 293 with
C293-45 inserts fits the side (carrier) bearings on my TR6. Didn't have
to pull the pinion bearings, but there should be inserts to do that. If
memory serves, C 293-37 inserts fit the pinions.?? There's a spacer that
is needed for the side bearings, C 293-3. One of those could easily be made.

Bear in mind, different bearings use different inserts.

I looked on ebay and found the Miller tools. Some are outlandishly
priced, but some are reasonable. Worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bill

On 7/22/2019 10:05 AM, Bob Kramer via Fot wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Have a look at this post. I think it covers the topic very well. I
> have used OEM stuff so far and haven't run across this yet.
>
> https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=145363
>
> Bob Kramer
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:54 AM Robert Lang via Fot
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Thanks for the replies. On my initial setup, the ring gear was too
>     tight against the pinion. I just moved the shims around to get
>     things to free up and the pattern seems to be okay. So, I think,
>     by extension, you need to set bearing preload, then pinion depth
>     via shims on the gear side of the carrier and then backlash via
>     the shims on the smooth side. That's what I did and that's what
>     worked.
>
>     The funny thing is, I did this setup YEARS ago with my 4.33 setup
>     (and an Oerlikon gear courtesy of Carsten Conrads) and I ran that
>     setup for over 10 years in autocross. When I pulled it apart to
>     scavenge the Quaife, the gears were perfect, so I musta done
>     something right! But for the life of me I could not remember how I
>     got there. Dumb luck is probably the answer.
>
>     Now I gotta get this sucker in a car and run it for some break-in
>     miles..
>
>     As for pulling the carrier bearings off, I gotta make a better
>     tool setup. I broke a two-jaw puller in the process and wound up
>     having to cut off two carrier bearings to get the shims installed.
>
>     Thanks for the input!
>
>     Regards,
>     Bob Lang

--------------4B3C2D5DA37C798E228A3010

  <head>
  </head>
      though. Doubt it was a Falcon)?? ((think about it, Ford guys!)) I
      worked for several Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge garages. Did quite a
      few diffs</p>
      bought some Miller special tools, including a C 293 bearing
      puller. This puller uses different inserts to fit various
      bearings. The Miller C 293 with C293-45 inserts fits the side
      (carrier) bearings on my TR6. Didn't have to pull the pinion
      bearings, but there should be inserts to do that. If memory
      serves, C 293-37 inserts fit the pinions.?? There's a spacer that
      is needed for the side bearings, C 293-3. One of those could
      easily be made.<br>
      outlandishly priced, but some are reasonable. Worth a look.</p>
      Fot wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CABFvdWtyzLouz03p2FQeHmG=sFwNHMNFm1-bqZWstWjabTkHHQ@mail.gmail.com">
          well. I have used OEM stuff so far and haven't run across this
          yet.</div>

moz-do-not-send="true">https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=145363</a>??
              data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
          AM Robert Lang via Fot &lt;<a href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              style="font-family:&quot;Helvetica
              Neue&quot;,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
                setup, the ring gear was too tight against the pinion. I
                just moved the shims around to get things to free up and
                the pattern seems to be okay. So, I think, by extension,
                you need to set bearing preload, then pinion depth via
                shims on the gear side of the carrier and then backlash
                via the shims on the smooth side. That's what I did and
                that's what worked.<br>
                ago with my 4.33 setup (and an Oerlikon gear courtesy of
                Carsten Conrads) and I ran that setup for over 10 years
                in autocross. When I pulled it apart to scavenge the
                Quaife, the gears were perfect, so I musta done
                something right! But for the life of me I could not
                remember how I got there. Dumb luck is probably the
                answer.</div>
                run it for some break-in miles..</div>
                gotta make a better tool setup. I broke a two-jaw puller
                in the process and wound up having to cut off two
                carrier bearings to get the shims installed.<br>
            moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a><br>
            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";