fot

Re: [Fot] Technical Question

To: "Fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Technical Question
From: Randall via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:09:17 -0800
I have my street TR3 wired that way; so the corner lamps do triple duty as
tail, stop and turn.

You can buy a solid state device to do the conversion (commonly sold to
connect a "3 wire" trailer to a car that has separate turn and stop lights).
However, I did mine with relays.  Initial conversion was done with only two
relays, but then when I started converting to LED lamps, I re-did it with 3
relays.  Here's a brief schematic
https://i.imgur.com/WWBJhUE.jpg

FWIW, this was done with no permanent modifications to the car or the
original wiring harness.  The relays are mounted under the dash, out of
sight, on the back of one of the bolts that holds the brake pedal pocket
together.  A new sub-harness runs from there up to the area where the
control head wires join the main harness, plus one wire to the brake light
switch.  (Which in my case is still under the dash, as I converted to a
mechanically operated switch instead of the original hydraulic one.)

The relays are just cheap automotive relays; couple buck each on flea-bay.
(ISTR I bought 10 of them, with sockets, for $20 with shipping.  But I've
decided I don't like the sockets, so I just use quick connects to wire to
the relays.)

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com