fot

Re: [Fot] Six head gasket?

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Six head gasket?
From: Enquiries Road & Track via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 20:59:04 +1000

--000000000000f969b105a005461b

like most racers, ive had my fair share of leaking triumph heads and have
tried copper rings, fancy gaskets, plain gaskets, magic goo  etc etc.,
with none of them  totally fixing it

unless the crankcase breather blocked,  they never really leaked badly
there when new (some weeped),  so its mostly a result of all the stuff we
do to them to make them go faster.  certainly. facing 2-3mm off the head
does not help, as the edge gets very thin and the clamp force over by the
pushrods is not great on any of them, so its no wonder they leak at worst
and weep at best  . Ive concluded crankcase pressure build up is a big
issue to be solved as others have discussed

long ago, i changed to using  multiple vents/breathers but the biggest
improvement was using WURT 250 sealant  on every joint , and my last race
2.5 is totally leak free, ie zero, not even a stain. BUT, no paper gaskets!!

my  "secret' is to follow WURT instructions and lay a tiny round bead on
the block edge near the pushrods and let it 'skin'...about 10-15 minutes
before fitting the head (just enough time for a cuppa). Do not finger it
and try to smooth it out.  By all means , fit the head with whatever
"quality" gasket that your heart desires. For what its worth , i use a
copper gasket and just re-anneal it every time. ive never found any spray
or brush on sealant really works (or is needed) on a conventional head
gasket,  but some copper ones may benefit

we used this WURT 250 sealant in our engine shop for years and all-but
eliminated warranty claims for leaking gaskets. A version called WURT 250
RED is great on triumph gearboxes, and overdrives, again, zero leaks if
applied correctly. For the very best result, every surface must be washed
with thinners or acetone, and not touched by hands etc  thereafter. it has
a limited shelf life of about a few weeks once opened , but we used tubes
of it every week, so that was not an issue.

i hope this might assist someone

Terry
(down under, but not quite as far "down" as geoff Byrne)

--000000000000f969b105a005461b

f leaking triumph heads and have tried copper rings, fancy gaskets, plain g=
askets, magic goo=C2=A0 etc etc.,=C2=A0 with none of them=C2=A0 totally fix=

unless the crankcase breather blocked,=C2=A0=20

they never really leaked badly there when new (some weeped),=C2=A0 so its=
=C2=A0mostly a result of all the stuff we do to them to make them go faster=
.=C2=A0 certainly. facing 2-3mm off the head does not help, as the edge get=
s very thin and=20

the clamp force over by the pushrods is not great on any of them, so its no=
 wonder they leak at worst and weep at best=C2=A0

. Ive concluded crankcase pressure build up is a big issue to be solved as =
 to using=C2=A0 multiple=C2=A0vents/breathers but the biggest improvement=
=C2=A0was using WURT 250 sealant=C2=A0 on every joint , and my last race 2.=
5 is totally leak free, ie zero, not even a stain. BUT, no paper gaskets!!<=
nstructions and lay a tiny round bead on the block edge near the pushrods a=
nd let it &#39;skin&#39;...about 10-15 minutes before fitting the head (jus=
t enough time for a cuppa). Do not finger it and try to smooth it out.=C2=
=A0 By all means , fit the head with whatever &quot;quality&quot; gasket th=
at your heart desires. For what its worth , i use a copper gasket and just =
re-anneal it every time. ive never found any spray or brush on sealant real=
ly works (or is needed) on a conventional head gasket,=C2=A0 but some coppe=
n our engine shop for years and all-but eliminated warranty claims for leak=
ing gaskets. A version called WURT 250 RED is great on triumph gearboxes, a=
nd overdrives, again, zero leaks if applied correctly. For the very best re=
sult, every surface must be washed with thinners or acetone, and not touche=
d by hands etc=C2=A0 thereafter. it has a limited shelf life of about a few=
 weeks once opened , but we used tubes of it every week, so that was not an=
ss=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0p=
x 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>

--000000000000f969b105a005461b--

--===============6387070439298312240==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com