fot

Re: [Fot] Seat belts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Seat belts
From: Mark J Bradakis via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 06:40:56 -0700
Back in my climbing days when I had my sewing business, I was interested
in how nylon ropes and webbing deteriorated.  The number 1 killer was UV
light.  And climbing gear, aat least when being used and not gathering
dust in the basement, gets a LOT of exposure to sunlight.  The second
major cause of wear was abrasion.  Obviously having a climbing rope
slide over a rough edge is bad for it, but the less obvious and more
common case is gritty dust particles getting trapped in the weave,
causing a little bit of abrasion every time it moves.

Luckily, though, it is always cloudy and raining at racetracks, so seat
belts never see sunshine, and there is never any dust blowing around
that can settle on the webbing as the cars sit in the paddock.

mjb.