fot

Re: [Fot] Seat belts

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Seat belts
From: Enquiries Road & Track via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 06:28:49 +1000

--00000000000065349b05a0215a6f

it may not be relevant to you guys in the USA, buts its worth mentioning
that our local FIA 'agent", Motorsport Australia , commissioned research &
testing into race seat belt life a few years ago. As a result, they have
extended the life of "notional" 5 year FIA approved belts to 10 years,
provided they have zero visual damage which includes extreme sun fading.
They however ratified the 2-year life on SFI approved belts. I have asked
for a copy of the technical report to support their conclusion and will
post up a link or a copy when possible. Most people i race with use FIA
approved belts. Mostly, we all tend to avoid SFI rated material as it has a
very short approval life and almost the same cost (here) as FIA approved
stuff.

The latest FIA standards require dynamic sled testing of harnesses and
components to 70g, which they claim comes from accident data and is
survivable in modern race cars. My reading suggests the SFI testing does
not include dynamic testing, simply stating maximum static failure forces,
but i'll happily be contradicted.

I would also comment that nearly everyone here has changed their belts over
the past few years with the use of HANS devices which mostly require a 2"
or narrower section in the over-shoulder belt . Nearly every race and rally
'speed" event here, now mandates HANS devices of some 'approved" form. The
harness anchor locations have also come in for a lot more attention
recently, especially as the shoulder harness angles are critical for most
versions of the HANS device to work as intended.  The use of the "crotch
strap" has also come into focus and particularly how it is mounted.
research has shown that if there is only a single crotch strap, it must be
vertical or near vertical to work successfully, Anchors placed half-way
under the seat so the strap runs backwards, are frowned upon and i know of
a couple of technical scrutineers (inspectors) that have warned racers to
fix that before their next event. There is a really good set of videos and
articles on the SCHROTH web site for anyone interested.

i'm not promoting any brand or system or rule. this is FYI only

Terry

--00000000000065349b05a0215a6f

ts worth mentioning that our local FIA &#39;agent&quot;, Motorsport Austral=
ia , commissioned research &amp; testing into race seat belt life a few yea=
rs ago. As a result, they have extended the life of &quot;notional&quot; 5 =
year FIA approved=C2=A0belts to 10 years, provided they have zero visual da=
mage which includes extreme sun fading. They however ratified=C2=A0the 2-ye=
ar life on SFI approved belts. I have asked for a copy of the technical rep=
ort to support their=C2=A0conclusion and will post up a link or a copy when=
 possible. Most people i race with use FIA approved belts. Mostly, we all t=
end to avoid SFI rated material as it has a very short approval life and al=
 components to 70g, which they claim comes from accident data and is surviv=
able in modern race cars. My reading suggests the SFI testing does not incl=
ude dynamic testing, simply stating maximum static failure forces, but i&#3=
omment that nearly everyone here has changed their belts over the past few =
years with the use of HANS devices which mostly require a 2&quot; or narrow=
er section in the over-shoulder belt . Nearly every race and rally &#39;spe=
ed&quot; event here, now mandates HANS devices of some &#39;approved&quot; =
form. The harness anchor locations have also come in for a lot more attenti=
on recently, especially as the shoulder harness angles are critical for mos=
t versions of the HANS device to work as intended.=C2=A0 The use of the &qu=
ot;crotch strap&quot; has also come into focus and particularly how it is m=
ounted. research has shown that if there is only a single crotch strap, it =
must be vertical or near vertical to work successfully, Anchors placed half=
-way under the seat so the strap runs backwards, are frowned upon and i kno=
w of a couple of technical scrutineers (inspectors) that have warned racers=
 to fix that before their next event. There is a really good set of videos =
and articles on the SCHROTH web site=C2=A0for anyone interested.</div><div>=

--00000000000065349b05a0215a6f--

--===============2233611711743265917==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com