fot

Re: [Fot] Best head gasket revisited

To: Jerry Van Vlack <jerryvv@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best head gasket revisited
From: Mike Harmuth via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 09:00:19 -0400
Cc: Joe Boruch <jaboruch@yahoo.com>, FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>

--0000000000000c7fc805b27e66a2

Cometic will do a custom gasket for a minimal one time charge. I've had a
Spitfire gasket made thick to make up for an over zealous block milling and
another one with a wider piston opening. Once they make the design changes,
they send you a PDF with the dimensions listed for your approval. When it's
OK, they assign a part number and CNC it out. Design turn around is about a
week and another week to make it. After the first one is made, just call up
and order replacements with your customer number, no extra charges.

mike h

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 8:41 AM Jerry Van Vlack via Fot <fot@autox.team.net=

wrote:

> Joe, my experience is only with a hot street engine but worth expressing.
> 87mm pistons and liners, .090 milled from head and Kastner D cam.
> I ran a stock AE330 for almost 40 years with no issues then I did a valve
> job and hardened EX seats because of recession in #4 EX valve seat. The
> shop took another approx. .010 off the head (so now approx. .100 off the
> head) . I used the Cometic 91mm gasket and it burned through at #4 in 2
> years of street driving. Maybe 15,000 miles.
> The engine was tired by this time having been rebuilt in the 80=E2=80=99s=
. I
> rebuilt the engine and decided to use another AE330 with a new head at .0=
70
> milled. That gasket leaked because of my dumb mistake not re-torqueing
> after a few heat cycles. Replaced with another AE330 and now have approx.
> 10,000 miles with no issues. I did re-torque a couple of times.
>
> Original AE330 copper gaskets are getting hard to find but occasionally
> show up on EBay, I just bought one. The =E2=80=9Cnew=E2=80=9D repro AE 33=
0 copper gaskets
> are not the same especially in the valve pocket area, I=E2=80=99ve compar=
ed them.

> My point in al of this is take a look at how an original AE330 fits to
> your head and block and give it consideration, you might find it
> acceptable. Or continue to use the steel with thin copper wire that you=
=E2=80=99ve
> used. I am not a fan of the Cometic but admittedly mine was used on a
> street engine with no plans to change it every year. Tony=E2=80=99s exper=
ience is
> worthy of attention, he hammers that engine pretty hard.
>
> JVV

e charge. I&#39;ve had a Spitfire gasket made thick to make up for an over =
zealous=C2=A0block milling and another one with a wider piston opening. Onc=
e they make the design changes, they send you a PDF with the dimensions lis=
ted for your approval. When it&#39;s OK, they assign=C2=A0a part number and=
 CNC it out. Design turn around is about a week and another week to make it=
. After the first one is made, just call up and order replacements with you=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun,=
 Oct 25, 2020 at 8:41 AM Jerry Van Vlack via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid r=
gb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
ng.=20
87mm pistons and liners, .090 milled from head and Kastner D cam.</div>
lve=20
job and hardened EX seats because of recession in #4 EX valve seat. The sho=
p=20
took another approx. .010 off the head (so now approx. .100 off the head) .=
 I=20
used the Cometic 91mm gasket and it burned through at #4 in 2 years of stre=
et=20
driving. Maybe 15,000 miles.</div>
=99s. I=20
rebuilt the engine and decided to use another AE330 with a new head at .070=
=20
milled. That gasket leaked because of my dumb mistake not re-torqueing afte=
r a=20
few heat cycles. Replaced with another AE330 and now have approx. 10,000 mi=
les=20
with no issues. I did re-torque a couple of times.</div>
y=20
show up on EBay, I just bought one. The =E2=80=9Cnew=E2=80=9D repro AE 330 =
copper gaskets are=20
not the same especially in the valve pocket area, I=E2=80=99ve compared the=
m.</div>
 your=20
head and block and give it consideration, you might find it acceptable. Or=
=20
continue to use the steel with thin copper wire that you=E2=80=99ve used. I=
 am not a fan=20
of the Cometic but admittedly mine was used on a street engine with no plan=
s to=20
change it every year. Tony=E2=80=99s experience is worthy of attention, he =
hammers that=20
engine pretty hard.</div>
-weight:normal;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;display:inline">
Boruch via Fot</a> </div>
-weight:normal;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;display:inline">
ca,arial,sans-serif">
I missed the conversation a few months ago. </div>
Cometic gaskets, have you done much relieving around the intake valves?=C2=
=A0 I=20
have not found any such gasket that would not protrude out into the combust=
ion=20
chamber.=C2=A0 I even bought one from BPNW that was good for up to 92mm bor=
e,=20
but it still protruded.=C2=A0 I have been using steel shim head gaskets wit=
h=20
copper wire o-rings in the fire rings, but would like a simpler set up.=C2=
=A0 I=20
have held off on putting my TR3 engine back together for years (while playi=
ng=20
with S2000s and Miatas) waiting for a better head gasket.=C2=A0 Joe=20
B</div></div>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/ofracer@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/fot/ofracer@gmail.com</a><br>

--0000000000000c7fc805b27e66a2--