laptops and racers

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: laptops and racers
From: dave dutton <dave@applemotors.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:46:44 -0700
Dear Byron et all,

I think most heat in a laptop is generated by the battery.

I have a 12 V nominal (13.4 Volts or so actual) power plug hardwired into
DP7's
ignition relay.  My Toshiba charger puts out 18 volts so I thought my FIAT
alternator would do OK.  The Toshiba works well plugged into my street car
and even charges the battery albeit 10 times more slowly than the Toshiba
charger.

I drilled holes through the floor of my car to mount the laptop.  Don't
think I will do that in my Z06, though.  Velcro and new carpets probably
have some hope for our racer Corvette friend.

lly At 07:51 AM 2/15/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I've never had any overheating problems with the laptop.
>Good point though, depending on the laptop I'm sure that
>some wouldn't like being stuffed into a confined space and
>left on for a period.  Luckily (sorta) for me my old laptop
>has a horrible battery life, so it can't be left on that
>long at a stretch anyway.
>
>I know of some other GEEZ users who have used an inverter to
>power the laptop.  This definitely eliminates those annoying
>battery life worries!  But I'm lazy...I'll stick with the
>Palm.
>

>--Byron
>
>Bob Monday wrote:
>>
>> I'm amazed that your laptop doesn't overheat! I use a tie-down strap
>> that goes over the laptop base, but I locate it above the keyboard so
>> that it doesn't depress any keys. Cinching it down tight pulls the
>> sides of the seat in. I wedge the power module for the cube under the
>> laptop after tightening it down, and that keeps everything pretty well
>> secure! I fold the display back to the seatback, but do not latch it
>> (even though I could).
>>
>> I also have a 300w inverter that powers the laptop and my video camera.
>> Light, compact. I wedge it by the door sill between the passenger seat
>> and door. No battery worries for either device!
>>
>> Bob Monday

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list
///