Re: [Fwd: Re: Multi-purpose Palm]

To: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Multi-purpose Palm]
From: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com> wrote:
> Forwarded from Lee Witkowski, who's mailer is somehow
> disliked by the Team.Net servers...
>
> I see on the ExtremeGeez site that the Palm m100 is the data
> collector "of choice."
> I went to my local discount electronics  outlet and asked
> some questions. The m100
> has 2 MB of RAM and the m105 has 8 MB of RAM. Is 2 MB
> enough? How  much room does
> the Geez Palm program occupy? Can it hold multi-laps with
> only 2 MB of RAM?

I just bought an m100 about a month ago, just for GEEZ.
The last thing that I *ever* thought that I'd be using
it for is as an organizer.  Well, I've been doing both
with it for about a month now.  I've even got AvantGo
installed to copy down about 100 web pages worth of
stuff every time it HotSyncs.  I have 1098K out of 1920K
free as of this moment, and that includes 14 archived
autocross runs of over one minute each.  Oh, I see
that the batteries are just about dead.  :-(

If I remember correctly, the issue with the m105 was
that it came with the full docking cradle instead
of the cheaper docking cable that you would want in your
car.  If you have to buy the cable, that's an additional
expense if you choose the m100.  On the other hand, I
went and bought the cradle for the m100, which was
probably more of an expense!

In any case, 2MB memory isn't a big deal for me, but I'm
not downloading gazillions of third-party Palm apps into
my m100.  If it ever becomes a problem, AvantGo will go.

Just my $0.02.....

-Arthur
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

///