Re: NonBallasted and resistor for Coil - What's it all mean?

To: Rick@genomictechnologies.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NonBallasted and resistor for Coil - What's it all mean?
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:38:48 EST
In a message dated 4/2/2004 7:23:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Rick@genomictechnologies.com writes:
What does the term ballasted mean for a coil?

If I purchase a non-ballasted coil for my 100-4, which is what is specified,
does that mean I have to add a resistor? Does the term Ballasted coil mean the
coil has the resistor built in
As long as we're talking about this, I have a Mallory Unilite Ignition on my
100 with  the ballast resistor installed before the coil as per the first
diagram on the page found at:

   http://www.taperformance.com/ignition1.htm

The statement is made that if the ballast resistor is not used between the 12
volt source and the coil positive terminal the igniton module will eventually
be destroyed.  However,  since there is also a 12 volt lead from the hot side
of the ballast resistor to the module would not the same amount of power be
reaching the module?  Can someone please explain this?

TIA--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans