Re: NonBallasted and resistor for Coil - What's it all mean?

To: Awgertoo@aol.com
Subject: Re: NonBallasted and resistor for Coil - What's it all mean?
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:19:38 -0700
Michael,

A coil that is intended to be used without a ballast usually has around
three ohms primary resistance. A coil that is intended for ballast
applications usually has around 1.5 ohms resistance with a ballast
resistor (either external or as a part of the wiring loom) to give about
three ohms total resistance.  In a way, you could say that an extra 1.5
ohms of resistance is built into the non ballasted coil.

For it's original purpose of the ballast was in the coil primary circuit
under normal running conditions but bypassed to give temporarily higher
coil voltage via a separate contact in the starting circuit. The
thinking is that during starter operation the battery voltage is
somewhat lower than when running & the temporary extra coil voltage
helps starting.

On cars without the ballast & starting bypass contact, it isn't believed
that the extra voltage while starting is needed so they just used a
three ohm coil. Original Healeys for example.

In your Mallory example, the main electronics portion of the ignition
electronics is designed to run on full battery voltage & the coil
primary/trigger electronics is designed to run on the reduced voltage
provided by the ballast.

Note: the resistance values given are approximate & will vary with the
exact ignition application.

Dave Russell
BN2