Re: Reinserting the wiring in the steering stator tube?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reinserting the wiring in the steering stator tube?
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:32:48 -0400
Hi, Esko -

Several replies say it is easy enough to pull the wires through the stator
tube if the bullet connectors are staggered.  Well, mine were staggered and no
matter how tightly I taped them together, they wouldn't go down.

When I installed a new wiring harness in the steering column, I still could
not get the harness to go down the stator tube.  So, I cut off the bullet
connectors with about an inch of wire left, then resoldered the wires back
together, leaving the splices straight instead of twisting the wires together.
I covered the splices with heat-shrink sleeve.  If the harness ever needs to
be removed, it'll be a simple matter to unsolder the ends again and reattach
them later without damaging the wires.  The bullets were crimped onto the ends
of the wires, so they couldn't be removed without cutting the wire.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry