Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex?
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:34:38 -0500
On Monday, April 05, 2004 12:31 pm, Rick Neville wrote:
> My BJ7 has flat fender mirrors about 18" aft of the
> headlights.  They don't seem to be of much use except
> to give someone something to knock out of alignment
> when they walk by.  Are the convex mirrors any better
> at letting me know what's trying to sneak by me on
> either side?

Absolutely.

If you trace the light rays, you'll see that a mirror functions just like an
opening you look through; the further it is from you, the narrower your angle
of view.

A convex lens will cause the rays to converge (which is "diverge" from the
point of view of your eye), thus widening that field of view.

I'd say that for mirrors that far away from the eye, convex is essential.  Of
course, I'd say a lot of things.  :-)

--
John Miller

Time to be aggressive.  Go after a tattooed Virgo.