Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex?

To: Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex?
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:38:21 EDT
On Monday, April 05, 2004 1:43 pm, Freese, Ken wrote:
> No way. At that fender position, a convex image will be so small you won't
> be able to judge if the car is at your rear bumper or farther back.
--------------

On my 100 I have convex mirrors in the "forward" position above the wheel
arch and they are great for ascertaining other vehicles' relative position once
one gets used to them.  On my wife's 3000 (Mk I) I used the Cape mirrors that
mount into the windshield stantion screw hole.  They're fine on the driver's
side and partially blocked on the passenger's side by the stantion itself, but
they do eliminate drilling holes.  For my money (and car) I like forward.

While discussions of "correct" location are about as conclusive as whether or
not to put anchovies on pizza, I think that mirrors mounted in the "rear'
position ruin the esthetics of a 100 when the windshield is down (which isn't
very often...).

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans