Re: Bias-Ply Tire Recommendations

To: editor_reid@hotmail.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bias-Ply Tire Recommendations
From: OldHealeys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:14:13 EDT
Reid,

Having raced on bias ply tyres (DUNLOP) and radial tires (GOODYEAR and B.F.
GOODRICH) my impression of the two is as follows...

IF you have very quick reflexes the radials will get you through the corner
faster ... but ... and it is a big BUT... When they loose adhesion they do it
instantaneously and you must be on top of it to get grip again. For normal and
even fast street and road use the radials track better than bias ply, they
corner in a positive manner and last...

The bias ply allow the driver to "slide" the corner and "throttle steer"
which was the cornering style when the 100 was new.  In my experience Bias ply
tyres do not track as well on a straight road.

If you are running with 48 spoke wheels the bias ply tyres are safer on the
spokes.  The adhesion of radials is greater, sometimes much greater and this
WILL break spokes...

Happy Healeying,
Bill Emerson
Author, "The Healey Book"