Re: carb problem on 100-4

To: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>,
Subject: Re: carb problem on 100-4
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:42:01 -0400
Hey James,

There is a mechanism for overflow on the 100-4 (Non-M) carb setup. Its just
that top brass nut on the bowl. It is designed to vent pressure and excess
gas. The M design has the banjo connection, so that any leakage from overfill
will go down past the hot manifold. I'm sure that this connection is working
properly, in your case. If the vent was blocked you would not be able to fill
the bowls up and the gas would continually flow into the carb through the
jets. Gas (Air actually) has to escape through the top fitting in order for
the fuel to displace the air in the bowl and reach the level to have the float
hit the shutoff valve and stop gas from flowing through the system.

I guess in a strange situation, I might imagine the excessive heat causing a
grommet or washer in that top fitting to swell and possible restrict the
leakage. I don't think there should be any soft sealing washer in this
position. I think there is supposed to be an aluminum washer there.

Also check the drain lines in your intake manifold. They should allow any
excess fuel that does get into your carbs to leak out before getting into the
cylinders. That would be baaaad...

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2