Cleaning out/replacing oil in shock absorber

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cleaning out/replacing oil in shock absorber
From: lisa and mark <bugtop@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:55:09 -0700
Hello,
I have the rear Shock Absorbers off my '67 BJ8 and I'd like to replace the
shock oil.  I'm sure it's been in there for decades.  I've read a piece
called Shock Therapy posted in the Carolina Healeys website (link below).
In there it mentions draining the oil by removing the valve plug and
assembly.  Is this the large Nut at the bottom?  If so, any particular
things to watch for when I remove it?

I would like to clean the internals, the article mentions using Kerosene to
fill the shock, install valve plug, and then pump the lever to move the
fluid around.  Repeat, etc.  Has anyone tried this method?

Lastly should I remove the top cover for any reason?  To check on any
internal parts?  I've heard the gasket in not available so I'm hesitant to
remove it.

Here's the link if your interested:

http://www.carolinahealeys.com/Technical%20Pages/Suspension%20Steering/shock
%20therapy.htm