Road to Conclave

To: Orbittor@aol.com, BogiStogi@aol.com, TonyOnboard@aol.com, NSR@adorno.com,
Subject: Road to Conclave
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:50:29 EDT
Yesterday we drove from Fargo to Bismarck on I 94--it is a great ride with
little traffic.  We stopped in Jamestown, ND to visit the National Buffalo
Museum which consists of a ginat 50-ton concrete buffalo, a recreated "Main
Street"
a small herd of Bison, including "White Cloud" the albino buffalo and the
Museum building itself.  The most prominent, if not the main attraction, in the
museum building was the National Buffalo Freezer in which various cuts of meat
were available for purchase.

After the requisite picture of the Healey in front of the giant buffalo we
returned to the road and arrived Bismark midday.  There's a wonderful museum in
downtown and from there we drove south to Fort Abraham Lincoln which includes
a reconstructed Mandan village complete with earthen mounds and the infantry
and cavalry posts, the latter being the command of General George Armstrong
Custer when he marched off to destiny.  Lewis & Clark spent the night at the
same
site on October 20, 1804.

My friend Jan flew back to Miami this morning and I spent the day in the
Washburn, ND area where I met fellow-lister Ed Driver from Saskatoon  who drove
down in his Morgan.  We went through the L & C Interpretive Center and then
drove over to nearby Stanton for lunch at Glo's Grill.  The special was a
German
meat pie though I did not think until just now to inquire what kind of meat.
We drove back to Bismarck and had an early dinner as Ed had to head home and
wanted to get some miles under him before sunset (about 10:00 PM in these
latitudes).

I've put about 2200 miles on the car so far---BTW the modification to the
right rear shock seems to have done the ticket as the bolt is still installed
as
described with no loosening. Tomorrow I turn south in the general direction of
Conclave but I will be diverting west a bit for the Black Hills area.

I've seen three British cars thusfar--an MGB and a TR3 in Fargo and Ed's
Morgan.  Aslo saw a Citroen 2 CV struggling east on the interstate yesterday.
The
speed limit here is 75 and I am sure he appreciated the strong west tail
wind.

Best to all--Michael