Road to Conclave

To: Orbittor@aol.com, BogiStogi@aol.com, TonyOnboard@aol.com, NSR@adorno.com,
Subject: Road to Conclave
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:47:32 EDT
I left Las Vegas, NM and ran quickly down the Interstate to Albuquerque as I
had plans to hook up with lister Dave Porter of Taos Garage Annex for an oil
and filter change.  Also my clutch was getting a bit spongy and after an
application of hydraulic leeches and a quick eyeball of the car Dave judged all
be well.

Dave then announced that he was taking the rest of the day off and suggested
that after a quick Taco Burger we should take a bike ride--How could I pass up
an offer like that?  So after a killer lunch we went back to Dave's and after
suiting up in his Tour de France jersey he brought out his tandem road bike.
Dave, as some of you  may know, is a custom bike frame designer and builder
and apparently has constructed some of the fastest bikes ever--his garage is
full of frames that have been used in racing and have set many records.  The
tandem is, he told me, the world record holder for the highest sustained speed
over a measured course.

In any case, Dave said that he was the "Captain" (front seat) and I was the
"flogger" or something like that (back seat).  My job was to keep up with his
pace and not fall off.  So off we went to the home of Dan Pendergraft, former
Healey racer extraordinairre, and after a spirited 10 or so mile ride we
arrived in good order.  Dan's immaculate garage contained his two Healeys and a
lovely teal MGA which he apparently took possession of only recently, along
wsith
some great photos of his racing career. After allowing me a short breather
Dave ordered me back on the bike and we went back to his place--Tonight he, his
wife Kim and I had a great Mexican dinner.

I'm off tomorrow for parts south--I'm trying to change my room reservations
at Conclave for a Saturday arrival as opposed to Sunday so am not sure where I
will wind up tomorrow night.

Best to all--Michael