Hot Problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot Problem
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:32:16 -0700
Hello List,

I have a problem w/ both of my recently restored tri-carb Healeys.  One is a
BN7 (2500 miles), and the other is a BT7 (1500 miles).  Both overheat very
quickly when idling in neutral.  Both had a complete overhaul of the engines,
both have new radiator cores (4 staggered rows of tubes, like the factory
original).  I also have an original, unrestored BT7 MK1 (head has never been
off, radiator has never been rodded, has over 100,000 miles) that does not
have this problem.  Have owned this car for over 34 years.

Currently working on the BT7.  Timing is right on, checked the clearance
between the water pump impeller and the housing, richened the fuel mixture.
Took it for a drive on a deserted road at 30 mph, 4th gear, o'd, 3.54 axle,
about 1200 rpm.  Ran cool, right on the thermostat. Stopped, put in neutral,
but kept the engine at 1200 rpm.  Started to overheat immediately.  Started
driving w/ same settings, and trmperature stabilized, and then started to cool
down.  Clearly the problem is air flow.  The car has a standard fan, and I
really don't want to go to a Texas Cooler as I would like to keep the engine
original looking.

Question:  Has anyone tried changing the pitch of the fan blades?  I am temped
to try this, but it could be a really big mistake.  Won't try it unless
someone out there has had success and can tell me just how far to bend them.
Maybe this is a Really Dumb Idea, but had to ask.

TIA

John Snyder