Re: Hot Problem

To: "Alan Schultz" <alan@andysnet.net>,
Subject: Re: Hot Problem
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:26:44 -0700
Alan,

I had one of the 160deg "sleeved" thermos.  This is a Robertshaw
thermostat with the sleeve soldered on.  I bought a 180deg Robertshaw,
de-soldered the sleeve and soldered it to a 180deg thermo.
Unfortunately, the 180deg thermo ceased to work after awhile (it would
open prematurely and the engine would run too cool).

Continuing this thread, I have had a couple of thermos do this.  The other
was the OEM one on my '96 Ford Ranger (this is apparently a common problem
with this vehicle).  Yet, you take both these thermos and test them "on the
bench"--i.e. heat them in a pan of water with a thermometer--and they open
right
at the nominal setpoint.  A friend suggested that you would have to test them
under
normal pressure--e.g. 7-14psi--to see the actual functioning (maybe they open
prematurely under some pressure).

I now have Stant thermos in both the truck and the Healey ... they work
fine.  BTW, the local AutoZone no longer carries the Robertshaw ... they may
have gone out of business (I've never seen them anywhere but Autozone).

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net