popping out of second

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: popping out of second
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 06:57:56 -0700
Hi all!
The PO of my 67 BJ8 with 60k miles had a new first gear, R&R trans, rebuild
trans and overdrive, install new first gear and rebuilt cluster gear almost
exactly four years $2,200 and 5,000 miles ago. He also had a used laygear
installed.
It has always popped out of 2nd gear since I bought it 2 years and 4,500
miles ago when going downhill around 25-30mph or less, usually after about
30 seconds of slowing by compression. It's always a thrill when it pops out.
My original 64 BJ8 that I put on over 80k miles never had this problem. I'd
like to have this fixed and would like some feedback from the experts. I've
already been advised NOT to hold it in second.
Could the list please give me some ideas of what might be happening and what
I'm in for?
Thanks as always!
Ron
PS I don't grind the gears when shifting :-)