Re: popping out of second

To: Ron Davies <rdavies1@cox.net>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: popping out of second
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:14:14 -0700
Ron:

I've repaired Healey gearboxes that are 'popping out of gear' by shimming
the detent springs.  I doubt that your springs / balls are missing - if so,
it would be coming out of all gears.  IE: if the 1 - 2 ball was missing, it
would be coming out of first, as well as 2nd, and there would be lots of
other shifting difficulties as well.

It's possible that the 1 - 2 spring is weak or broken, if so, a replacement
might solve the problem.  It is more likely that there is another problem in
the gearbox - a mainshaft problem, a synchro ring, or a worn shifter rod,
etc, not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.  Not to disparage anyone, but
not all people who re-build Healey gearboxes necessarily know what they're
doing.

If the 1 - 2 detent ball is in place and the detent spring looks allright,
try replacing it anyway and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, a small
shim on that spring only might be a good temporary fix, but it will increase
the wear on that shifter rail.  (in this case, temporary could be a long,
long time)

This can be done on the top-shift Healeys - carefully! - without removing
the gearbox from the car, and without draining the oil, with the trans
tunnel cover off.  I say carefully, because you don't want to drop any
little bits into the gearbox and have to go fishing in the oil with a
magnet! (please don't ask me how I know about this).

If your gearbox top gasket was glued on both sides, you will likely need a
new one.  I usually glue the gasket to the lid only, so that it can be
removed / re-installed several times - a very light coating of grease on the
unglued side keeps everything dry.

If you wind up needing to shim the 1 - 2 detent spring, let me know, and
I'll try and walk you through it via e-mail.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8