fuel pump problems

To: "healeylist" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel pump problems
From: "Dr. Carl Rubino" <ruvino@ripnet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:18:02 -0400
OK-another long story.

Out for a cruise and fuel pump starts clicking incessantly-finally
stops-replaced with temporary to get home.
Temp clicks incessantly-can still drive car

Replace fuel pump with new bellow type stewart warner-install new fuel filter
in line.
Check fuel flow and note air bubbles in gas

Replace all rubber hoses including short one from tank to steel pipe (pretty
bad shape and would have blown on me in the not to distant future)-new clamps

Runs well for 1/2 hr then stops cold. Usual procedure bang it with something
heavy-starts-running incessantly-dies on the way home-replaced with temp again
and it runs incessantly-put new one back in the car and it still runs
incessantly

I assume I have a on/off (mostly on) air leak someplace-not in rubber hoses
and no evidence underneath the car

As far as I can tell (getting to old to get totally under the car) the steel
fuel pipe is all one piece so no fittings to worry about

microscopic hole in the steel line? should this be replaced? it's
approximately 15 years old.

It's been a cool spring and early summer here in the Ottawa Valley (E. Ontario
Canada)-that and a torn achilles tendon has limited my driving time. With a
forecast for a good August I would like to solve this problem close to home
rather than head out for parts unknown. I am really getting tired of removing
the left side seat pan-has anybody tried velcro for it?

Carl
BN-4(L)
1957