Re: tach cable on 100

To: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Subject: Re: tach cable on 100
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 08:01:35 -0600
Allen,

Lots of Healey replacement parts need to be hand fitted. Some
replacement cables are not quite correct. I'm not sure wheter the the
square end is too large to go into the tacho socket or if the end
projects out too far. Try the inner cable end by itself for easy entry
into the square socket. If not, carefully thin the outside dimensions of
the square end of the cable for easy entry.

The second problem is that the projecting end is too long & bottoms out
on the tacho bearing & causes binding & rapid wear of the tacho bearing.
The standard inner cable projection should be no more than 3/8" (1/4" is
preferable) from the casing flange face ( part of the outer flange
nearest to the tacho, large diameter part) This inner cable end can also
be shortened to fit.

A less common problem is that the angle drive end of the inner  cable is
too long to permit the plastic spacer (original spacer/bearings are
brass, not plastic)  to fully seat into the housing at the tacho end.

An original inner cable measures 64" overall length with .75" measured
from the back of the brass/plastic spacer to the square tip of the cable.

Dave Russell
BN2

Allen C Miller, Jr. wrote:
> We are having problems with the length of the tachometer cables supplied for
> 100-4's. The square end and plastic spacer of the inner cable, when hooked up,
> extends 3/8" proud of the shaped end piece of the outer cable wrapping. It
> does not go in willingly or even with considerable force. Any work-arounds?

Check out the new British Cars Forum: